cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB/liveCache: Time based AUTOMATIC LOGGING working?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SCN,

I've worked on and off with SCM/APO systems and MaxDB liveCaches for years now, but I've never come across this quirk.

As part of our standard operating of MaxDB liveCaches we always use TIME-BASED Automatic Log Backups. We set them to backup every 10 minutes (see image below). I've not had any issues with this but during a system migration I've noticed that the logs are NOT being generated every 10 minutes on the target and I wondered to myself if this is because there is no activity yet?

i.e. should it keep automatically generating new logs every 10 minutes even if there is no activity?

If not then, and here is the KEY QUESTION, how can I check the Automatic Log Backup settings that are active?
I'm assuming there is a simple DBMCLI command for this but I haven't found it yet/

Appreciate any community advice!

Many thanks,

Jamie

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jamie,

If auto log backup is enabled (DBMCLI: autolog_on), backup is started if at least one of the following is true:

• Log backup segment is full (default: 1/3 of log area)
  • Time interval defined in backup template passed

However, there is another condition which must be met and this is, that there must be at least some committed data in log area. Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense to perform a backup.

To check related settings using DBMCLI, following commands may help:

1. autolog_show
  2. info log
  3. medium_getall

First command shows if auto log is enabled, second one displays information about the used space. Third one shows the interval for auto log backup. Search for medium/template of type AUTO (3rd column) and check the last column. It is the interval in seconds.

Regards,

Palo

joe_ledesma
Participant
0 Kudos

The info about there being another condition and the list of commands was helpful, thanks.

In case anyone else finds this post in the future, here is an update for newer MaxDB releases:

1. autolog_show
  2. info log
  3. backup_template_show ALL
    1. Or: backup_template_show NAME <backup_template>

First command shows if auto log is enabled, second command has info about the used space and will list an interval like this:

Backup Interval (seconds)       = 300

Third command will show an interval  like this:

BACKUPAUTOINTERVAL        300

(Regarding command medium_getall and checking the last column in the output, it no longer seems to put the interval in the last column, and this command is no longer included in the DBMCLI documentation so the command may be deprecated since backup templates were formerly called backup medium.)

Tested version: