cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining Version and Patch Install

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am new to the SAP world and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to determine version information for supporting new installs.

We have a new consultant coming into the office and he needs the SAP GUI for Windows. I've been tasked with helping him install the software. My problem is I don't know what all patches he needs to be in sync with us.

When I look at what I have this is what is displayed. The release is fairly straight forward but from there I don't know how to piece together what would be needed next. When I look at the patches page in the software downloads none of the numbers match up. I see one mention of the Patch level but that's rather vague to me.

My question is how do I decipher what he needs to be in sync with us from the patches page.

http://scn.sap.com/community/gui/blog/2013/05/29/sap-gui-730-download

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is more along the lines of what does everyone at your company use for a version of SAP GUI?  If everyone is on the same version then you have a better way of troubleshooting what some consider unique issues interfacing with the various SAP systems.

I would highly recommend you updated to PL 10 for 730, and also keep in mind to make the versioning of SAP GUI worse, SAP also has hotfix levels to associate to the PL release.

The link you provided is only for the installation of SAP GUI, you have to navigate to support packs & patches to find the updated files.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response. Everyone I believe is running what I'm running but don't quote me on that I haven't checked that many machines.

I think further down the link I posted there is another link for Windows Patches. I'm assuming I can get anything from there related to patches?

When you say go to PL 10 do I simply grab the one with Path Level 10 marked out to the right or do I have to grab each one before 10 and install them sequentially up to 10? Are patch levels cumulative or additive?

If I install core will it bring me up to the most current patch or is simple the golden master released?

I guess I'm curious if there's a way to determine if any hotfixes have been applied to based on the numbering above.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

The SAPGUI installation comes in Compilations, which are mostly just a roll-up of the patches to that point. From your screenshot, it looks like you are using SAPGUI 7.30 Compilation 1 Patch Level 3. If you want to update the SAPGUI to the latest available patch, you don't need all the intervening patches, you only need the latest patch level (or, if a hotfix for patch is available, then grab that hotfix; you don't need the base patch).

You do need the base SAPGUI installation, so if you're starting from scratch then grab the latest Compilation of the SAPGUI, and then the latest Patch (or Patch+Hotfix).  To confuse matters a bit more for you, however, you also need the latest SapSetup patch.

So, to make this easier for you, I have written a handy-dandy document on the process of finding the right downloads, putting together a central installation server, patching it, and then distributing SAPGUI to your users from that installation server. You can find it at .

Welcome to the world of supporting SAP!

Regards,

Matt

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oh, also to answer your question about how to know if a hotfix is installed, from your screenshot it does not appear so.  Here's a screenshot of my installation, for instance, which is using 7.30 Compilation 3, Patch Level 8, Hotfix 1:

Answers (0)