Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUM - java.lang.NullPointerException

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I´m stack at the execution step of SUM upgrade with the following error:

Oct 27, 2014 3:02:02 PM [Error ]: The following problem has occurred during step execution: com.sap.sdt.j2ee.tools.controlservice.ServiceControllerException: Cannot install and start service for instance 0 on host SAP1.

Could not run OS process sapstartsrv.exe for action install service.

Could not start process D:\usr\sap\SLM\DVEBMGS00\exe\sapstartsrv.exe.

Error while executing process D:\usr\sap\SLM\DVEBMGS00\exe\sapstartsrv.exe.

java.lang.NullPointerException: null

java.lang.NullPointerException

Please help.

Regards,

NC\

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I had a similar problem

I wont update SAPJVM 4.1 and recieve error:

Cannot install and start service for instance 0 on host <hostname>.

Could not start process <drive>:\usr\sap\<SID>\DVEBMGS00\exe\sapstartsrv.exe.

Error while executing process

<drive>:\usr\sap\<SID>\DVEBMGS00\exe\sapstartsrv.exe.

I create incident in SAP Support and received a reply:

Please use the attached PreComponentDeployModule.xml to replace the

current PreComponentDeployModule.xml under the path

..\SUM\sdt\config\usecases\modules\

To do that:

- stop SUM tool (GUI and SL Controller service)

- replace the original file at ..\SUM\sdt\config\usecases\modules wit

the modified version(attached)

- start SUM tool again and proceed

It helped for me.

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hu Bulychev,

Thank you for the help.

Now I´m facing a new error, this one:

<!--LOGHEADER[START]/-->

<!--HELP[Manual modification of the header may cause parsing problem!]/-->

<!--LOGGINGVERSION[2.0.7.1006]/-->

<!--NAME[D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\log\SUM\DEPLOY-SDM_02.LOG]/-->

<!--PATTERN[DEPLOY-SDM_02.LOG]/-->

<!--FORMATTER[com.sap.tc.logging.TraceFormatter(%d [%6s]: %m)]/-->

<!--ENCODING[UTF8]/-->

<!--LOGHEADER[END]/-->

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: Number of source deployed components detected from components provider: 25

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: Number of source deployed components detected from components provider: 25

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: DeployController release is 7.10. Component version rule UPDATE_LOWER_ONLY will be used.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: Deploy version rule has been set to updateLowerOrChanged in file D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\param\jspm_config.txt.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: Deploy error strategy has been set to stop in file D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\param\jspm_config.txt.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: Deployment prerequisite check error strategy has been set to stop in file D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\param\jspm_config.txt.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: Undeploy error strategy has been set to skipDepending in file D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\param\jspm_config.txt.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: Undeploy dependency rule has been set to stop in file D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\param\jspm_config.txt.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: Deploy timeout has been set to 7200 seconds in file D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\param\jspm_config.txt.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: Start parsing deployment order definition file D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\config\dodf.xml.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: File D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\config\dodf.xml is parsed and relative deployment data model is extracted.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: Start parsing deployment order definition file D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\config\dodfNonsupportedDCType.xml.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: File D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\config\dodfNonsupportedDCType.xml is parsed and relative deployment data model is extracted.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: Updating SDM...

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:50 PM [Info  ]: Unpacking D:/usr/sap/trans/EPS/in/SDMKIT13_0-10006657.JAR to folder D:/usr/sap/SLM/SUM/sdt/tmp/unpack_SDMKit...

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:51 PM [Info  ]: File D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\tmp\unpack_SDMKit has been deleted.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:51 PM [Info  ]: Directory D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\tmp\unpack_SDMKit has been created.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:51 PM [Info  ]: Stopping SDM server...

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:51 PM [Info  ]: AS Java process ID 2 has been started.

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:51 PM [Info  ]:   Command line: D:\usr\sap\SLM\DVEBMGS00\exe\sapjvm_4\bin\java.exe -Xmx900M -Djava.ext.dir=d:/usr/sap/SLM/DVEBMGS00/SDM/program/lib;D:/usr/sap/SLM/DVEBMGS00/exe/sapjvm_4/jre/lib/ext -cp . -jar d:\usr\sap\SLM\DVEBMGS00\SDM\program\bin\SDM.jar shutdown Sdmguiport=50018 sdmHome=d:/usr/sap/SLM/DVEBMGS00/SDM/program logfile=D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\log\SUM\OperateSDM_03.LOG

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:51 PM [Info  ]:   Standard out: D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\log\SUM\OPERATESDM_02.OUT

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:51 PM [Info  ]: Deployment message for component SAP_JAVASL :

Oct 31, 2014 6:08:51 PM [Error ]: The following problem has occurred during step execution: java.lang.NullPointerException: while trying to invoke the method java.lang.Process.destroy() of a null object returned from com.sap.sdt.tools.proc.OsProcess.getProcessObject().

Regards,

Nelson

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

The stage now is

Regards,

Nelson

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Nelson,

Please check whether the file

D:\usr\sap\SLM\DVEBMGS00\exe\sapjvm_4\bin\java.exe" and the directory

D:\usr\sap\SLM\DVEBMGS00\exe\sapjvm_4\jre\lib\ext" exist on the server. If they exist, please check whether the command

D:\usr\sap\SLM\DVEBMGS00\exe\sapjvm_4\bin\java.exe -version" can finish successfully with user <sid>#adm.

Usually this issue occurs due to the JDK version. Do make sure that the The profile directory and the <SUM_DIR>/sdt/data/variables directory all have the right JDK version.

Kind Regards,
Hemanth

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

very strange I don´t have these Java on the same directory you specified.

Check mine:

My Java.exe is here

And the ext dir is under jkit

But the command java.exe -version completes without errors:

What could be the problem?

Regards,

Nelson Chamba\

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Nelson,

Actually the screenshots you attached could not be opened.
Great that the java.exe -version works fine;so we can ignore this part.
Have you checked the profile directory and the <SUM_DIR>/sdt/data/variables directory all have the right JDK version.

usually the below is fine:

jstartup/vm/home = <location of the new jdk>

for example:

jstartup/vm/home = /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/jvm/hpia64/

sapjvm_4.1.028

and

SAPJVM_VERSION = 4.1.028

Kind Regards,
Hemanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ivan, thank you very much for provided solution! I use SUM 13 and this bug is still there...

arsnlgunnr
Participant
0 Kudos

Another thank you to Ivan for sharing the PreComponentDeployModule.xml file.  I'm using SUM 1.0 SP14 patch 1 and encountered the same error.

After swapping out the .xml file Ivan provided, the upgrade is able to continue.

Thanks!

-Jayson

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1st thing I would do is try adding "service/protectedwebmethods = NONE" in instance profile and try again.

Then, I will make sure the current Admin user has OS level access to execute these files, so I will set correct authorization for these users.

If it's still not working, you can share complete log files.

Regards,

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Divyanshu,

Done that and the error still.

Sharing you the full logfile:

#--------------------- BEGIN ---

<!--LOGHEADER[START]/-->

<!--HELP[Manual modification of the header may cause parsing problem!]/-->

<!--LOGGINGVERSION[2.0.7.1006]/-->

<!--NAME[D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\log\SUM\INSTALL-AS-JAVA-SERVICE_13.LOG]/-->

<!--PATTERN[INSTALL-AS-JAVA-SERVICE_13.LOG]/-->

<!--FORMATTER[com.sap.tc.logging.TraceFormatter(%d [%6s]: %m)]/-->

<!--ENCODING[UTF8]/-->

<!--LOGHEADER[END]/-->

Oct 27, 2014 4:15:28 PM [Info  ]: Install and start service for instance 0 on host SAP1 with profile D:/usr/sap/SLM/SYS/profile/START_DVEBMGS00_SAP1...

Oct 27, 2014 4:15:28 PM [Info  ]: Process ID 7, name sapstartsrv.exe has been started.

Oct 27, 2014 4:15:28 PM [Info  ]:   Command line: D:\usr\sap\SLM\DVEBMGS00\exe\sapstartsrv.exe -r -q -p D:/usr/sap/SLM/SYS/profile/START_DVEBMGS00_SAP1 -s SLM -n 0 -U null -P <SecureField> -e slmadm

Oct 27, 2014 4:15:28 PM [Info  ]:   Standard out: D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\log\SUM\INSTALL_SERVICE_00_07.OUT

Oct 27, 2014 4:15:28 PM [Error ]: The following problem has occurred during step execution: com.sap.sdt.j2ee.tools.controlservice.ServiceControllerException: Cannot install and start service for instance 0 on host SAP1.

Could not start process D:\usr\sap\SLM\DVEBMGS00\exe\sapstartsrv.exe.

Error while executing process D:\usr\sap\SLM\DVEBMGS00\exe\sapstartsrv.exe.

# ----------------- END --

Regards,

NC\

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could not run OS process sapstartsrv.exe for action install service

Have you added your current user(sidadm) in ADMIN group or tried creating the service manually ?

Regards,

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Could you check what these logs contain ?

D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\log\SUM\INSTALL-AS-JAVA-SERVICE_13.LOG

D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\log\SUM\INSTALL_SERVICE_00_07.OUT

Check the event viewer logs and also check the status of the sapstartsrv in services.msc.

If it is stopped then try to start the service.

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, the users is there, check the image below.

Regards,

NC

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

1st: the D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\log\SUM\INSTALL-AS-JAVA-SERVICE_13.LOG is already posted

2nd: the D:\usr\sap\SLM\SUM\sdt\log\SUM\INSTALL_SERVICE_00_07.OUT doesn´t exist

3rd: now it´s stoped and i can´t start it, it´s giving me these error:

4th: my event viewer is giving this:

The description for Event ID 35712 from source SAPSLM_00 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

recv10054  NiIReadrecv nixxi.cp5086

recv10054  NiIReadrecv nixxi.cp5086

Regards,

NC\

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So now you can see the two possible causes.

Have a look at them one by one.

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Divyanshu,

I´m lost because the services was not there on MSC and i manager to install it manually. When i start the services the dispacher is the one that stays in YELLOW the rest are GREEN and the error still.

Any idea

regards,

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try creating the sapslm_00 service and share dev_w0 and dev_disp logs.

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

the service is already created and it´s running but the dispatcher still not green.

here are the two files.

regards.

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Could you supply the screenshot of the sapstartsrv service created manually please ?

Check the note 1899842 - SAP MMC shows incorrect status or raises DCOM related errors to see if the service was created in the way suggested.

If possible restart the complete server and start SAP. If the instance startup fails then supply the latest logs.

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi dear Benjamin,

here is the screenshot

Regards,

NC\

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Nelson ,

Hope you are doing good.

Could you please check whether parameter service/protectedwebmethods is set in your default.pfl/start/instance profile; if so please comment out the parameter.

Then kill the sapstartsrv process on OS level and use below command to start it again:
sapcontrol -nr 00 -function StartService

If the above does not work it is possible that  service might be locked or operation on it be prevented by other running processes. So in this case a restart of the underlying windows OS will be helpful.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,

Hemanth

SAP AGS