Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade or new installation from 1.00.33 to 1.00.83

former_member256353
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I have some questions about upgrading our HANA.

We are currently running a testenvironment with SAP HANA on 1.00.33 and we want to upgrade this Version to 1.00.83

Can we perform an "UPGRADE" or do we Need to perform a new Installation?

Same question for our porductive environmet - in prod we have 1.00.72 and we want to upgrade to 1.00.83 - can we Upgrade, or do we have to do a fresh install?

can you experts Point me to any clear PAM/Upgrade guides/ionstructions, or - even better - did you perform it already yourself and have some experience to sahre with me?

Regards

Greg

Message was edited by: Tom Flanagan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

According to SAP Note 2062555 - SAP HANA SPS 08 Database Revision 83 :

• If you upgrade from a Revision prior to SPS6, first upgrade your system to the latest SPS6 Revision (69.07) before upgrading to Revision 83.00.

No DB upgrade restrictions from 72 -> 83. However, note that there are some OS level requirements for HANA SPS08. This can also be found in the same Note.

I hope that helps.

[]'s,

Lucas de Oliveira

former_member256353
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lucas,

thank you for the link and the hint.

Now, what puzzles me, is the following Statement from SAP, found in note: http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1948334

Here, SAP states that it is not possible to upgrade from 69.01 (until/incl. 69.07) to 70.00

But, when I read it correctly, it is possible to upgrade, say from 69.07 to 83.00 directly?

Somehow this description confuses me, as they initially say that it is not possible as Version 69.xx is not compatible with higher versions.

But, from 72.00 to 83 there are no restirctions - thank you for that.

If I get it right, it is then okay to first upgrade from 33 to 69.07 and then directly to 83?

(well it's my first month with HANA....)

regards

Greg

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

Well, there's a distinction between revisions and maintenance revisions. This document and SAP Note  2021789 - SAP HANA Revision and Maintenance Strategy - explains the difference. That's quite important to understand.

Anyhow, if you are in a *maintenance* revision (like 69.01 as you mentioned) then you have a pre-defined path for upgrade (which can be found in the Note as well). In the case of 69.01 :

Current maintenance revision

Possible target SP or maintenance revisions

Revision 69.01

Upgrade to revision 71.00 (or any higher SP or maintenance revision)

That means you can upg to rev 83 from rev 69.01. Not you're case though, as rev 72 is not a maintenance revision and there are no registered restrictions.

And yes, you got it right. It should be possible to got to 83 from 33 through 69.07,  although I've never seen such a case (I've seen rev 45 -> 69.07 -> 74.04 without issues).

[]'s,

Lucas de Oliveira

former_member256353
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lucas,

many thanks!

I think we'll go with a 2 step upgrade from 33 to 69.07 and then from 69.07 to 83.

For the other instance, we go directly from 72 to 83.

I'll update the thread when we are done

regards

Greg

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Nice 😃

Keep on the safe side and backup your systems prior/after upgrade

[]'s,

Lucas de Oliveira

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member256353
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Lucas,

Upgrade took place succesfully - thanks again for your inputs!

Just a quick note: 83 doesn't exist anymore. So we went for 84. Seems to work fine!