cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Data Guard for ABAP+JAVA & JAVA Systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

As per below notes we are aware that Oracle Data Guard is supported for SAP Environments.

105047 - Support for Oracle functions in the SAP environment

740897 - Info about the Oracle license scope; Required Oracle options

I need to setup DR for Solution Manger and EP system, what would be the copy method to be followed for Solution manager & EP system as of fact we know that to make DR standby system we need DR - Stanby to be on mount state so that managed recover & log sync  is possible.

If online backup restore method is used then I would end up in Instance id issue for java system as per below blog - For Java system brrestore method is not supported by SAP.

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/software-logistics/blog/2013/11/29/understanding-the-...

Anyone has configured DR for ABAP+JAVA and JAVA system, then please share me the roadmap for the same. For abap systems it is straight forward

backup restore and DG configure procedure followed and system testing is working fine.

Regards

KSK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

The Oracle Data Guard setup should be same for the ABAP and Java stacks which will take care of the shipping of archive logs and standby synchronized. For Java stacks you need to make sure that the file systems / directories (/usr/sap/SID and /sapmnt/SID) are also synchronized with the DR site as the configuration files are present there as well.

Regarding the instance ID concern, the primary and standby (DR node) will be having the same SID and during the DR time, you should temporarily rename the hostname of the DR node to primary hostname and start the apps.

Regards

Reagan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Benjamin,

a.) File systems are directory are made sync

b.) there is no SID change. Logical hostnames are used for Installation, i have setup DR systems with logical name same and different logical IP, during DR switch we are switching Logical IP of primary to Standby so that business users wouldnt see any changes during accessing. This set up fine and no issue for me.

My concern  -

For Java system brrestore is not recommend - Do you agree ?, in that case if i go for SAP System Export/Import (homogeneous system copy method since DB and OS are same) - cannot sync log file with primary and physical standby as per DG configuration.

If I do brrestore - DG configuration can be done without any issue, but at SAP level there will be inconsistency in instance id with respect to DB and SAP, SAP will not come up. as per share above link. for this setup sap will also not support

Please clarify - Below approach would work

For ABAP + JAVA

a.) brrestore and DG configuration

b.) Java CI export and import from primary to standby.

Point b - Export will be taken when Original Primary site is functioning and CI export will taken.

For JAVA - what would be the roadmap to configure DG.

I have searched a lot , but couldn't able to find any specific scenario for the same.

Regards

KSK

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

For Java system brrestore is not recommend - Do you agree ?

Where does it say that BRRestore is not recommended for J2EE systems ?

If you want to create a standby database then you need to follow the Oracle recommendation to create a standby database. An export and import based copy of the system is not going to achieve that. If the hostname, SID and system number are same between primary and standby then the system will start. While setting up the J2EE stack at the DR site if you chose to keep the same system number and SID then it will work.

Once the standby database has been set up you need to also make sure that the file systems mentioned above are synchronized.

An export and import of the CI from primary to the DR site is not possible even with a database backup using BRTools because in order to complete the import procedure with sapinst you will need to open the database.

Reagan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Reagan,

From below blog

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/software-logistics/blog/2013/11/29/understanding-the-...

"""""If by any chance one decides to copy the database from S01 and restore it over S02 system (which by the way is not supported),""""""

Also as per Homogeneous copy for ( ABAP+JAVA, and java system ) System copy is recommended in guides and is supported procedure.

But though i am giving a trial for doing DG for java system, with online restore method.

As i have share - that i have already configured DG for abap system, and I agree physical standby to be on mount state so that managed recover can be done, log sync would happen between Primary and Standby as per DG configuration.

Let me share outcome once i try for EP system by restore method.

Regards

KSK

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I believe I already answered this. The above article is valid ONLY if there is a change in the hostname, SID and system number. Is this you case ? I have only seen DR sites set up with same SID, system number and with a different hostname which is renamed to primary hostname during a DR time.