cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access HCI OData Provisioning from application outside HANA Cloud?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

has anyone of you tried to access HCI OData Provisioning (Gateway as a Service) from an application running outside SAP HANA Cloud Platform? Examples would be

• Desktop applications (e.g. Excel with Gateway for Microsoft), and
  • Applications running in Clouds other than SAP HANA Cloud (e.g. cloud-based Salesforce CRM).

One might want to link those applications to OData Services developed in local Business Suite backend systems without installing and operating three local Gateway Hub systems (Dev / Q / Prod), but using HCI OData Provisioning as Gateway Hub instead.

I´ve got the Impression that it is not possible without defining an app in SAP HANA Cloud Platform - is that correct?

If so, how much effort would it be to set up a "pass-through" app (Java?) in HANA Cloud Platform which has no other purpose but to offer an OData Interface, exactly as a local Gateway Hub system would do?

Thank you & best regards,

Ringo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ringo,

Did you go through this? . It is failrly an easy setup.

http://scn.sap.com/community/gateway/blog/2013/09/09/how-to-connect-the-sap-business-suite-to-the-sa...

You do not need to create an application. But you would need Hana Cloud Connector in your landscape.

regards

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Thank you for your answer.

The linked document explains how to register the backend service in the "Cloud Gateway", but does not answer whether it is possible to consume the registered service directly from outside the HANA Cloud.

Best regards,

Ringo

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, it will be possible to access the service from all the places where HANA cloud is accessible.

This can also be derived from the fact that the services is getting accessed by the 'Explore' tab in the "Gateway As a Service".

Former Member
0 Kudos

That would be great, thanks for clarifying - I couldn't find any hints on how to do that so far (by which URL).

I was about to try the demo setup you mentioned, unfortunately the website with the sign-up form for the Gateway consumption backend system is not available at the moment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay, I am done with the setup and can view the runtime data of the GWDEMO service in HCI OData Provisioning Administration. Now is the question: By which URL can I access the GWDEMO OData service exposed by SAP HANA Cloud from my desktop or from an application in a Non-SAP Cloud?

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So the "Explore" tab works for you?

If yes, open the developer option of your browser, in the network tab of your browser, check the URL that is getting used.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your assistance so far. The following is an example for a request in the Explore Tab of the Admin page of HCI OData Provisioning:

I´m still busy trying how to receive the pure XML (or JSON) data using parts of that URL.

Edit: It might require the X-CSRF Token or other HTTP-Header fields (even though I came across those only in conjunction with SAP Mobile Platform).

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First, Open the Developer options(F12) in Chrome.

Now click on the Network tab in developer options.

Now click on "Explore" tab on GWAS and goto any of Metadata/runtime links.

Search in the network tab for corresponding GET request. right click on that request and select "Open In the new tab".

This will give you the URL and the response.

Regards

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

https://gwaas-<YOUR_ACCOUNT_ID>trial.hanatrial.ondemand.com/odata/IWBEP/GWDEMO;v=1/BusinessPartnerCo...

That works! See example / pattern of URL above.

Edit: The request must contain the HTTP Header "Accept" with value "application/xml" or "application/json" to receive the result as OData response.

Thanks, Krishna.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

There is no "explore' tab anymore in the latest release of HCI-OData. Would the "register" button provide the same functionality and can I use the URL to access services registered in the HCI-OData?

Basically, what's the equivalent of the GW CATALOGSERVICE/ServiceCollection endpoint for discovering the services that are registered in the HCI-Odata?

Thanks,