cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Physical Model to Erwin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Help me. In my company we work with both tools (Erwin and PowerDesigner). The models need to be portables between them. I was able to  import Erwin model to Power Designer but I could not export from PD to Erwin. I found in other communities it is possible by converting to OOM and export to XMI format but in my opinion this is a very serious limitation. Anyone know How to do this?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you bought the ERwin metadata import and export options? If so, you should be able to import a PD model into ERwin. If you haven't got those bridges, you have ttwo choices:

* buy them (either from your ERwin seller or direct from MetaIntegration)

* buy the Reischmann Toolbus for ERwin and PD - see reischmann.com

Going via XMI is just too much pain

There's also nothing to be lost by telling SAP that you want to be able to export to ERwin; if we shout loud enough, they might do it

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for answer, George!

Yesterday, I was able to import PD model (CDM) into Erwin using ERwin import options. There It is possible import either CDM file or PDM file but my point of view should be exist a option to export to other tools. XMI could be a standard to be followed in this case.

I will ask to SAP about this and maybe we shouting loud enough, they accept it.

tks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

I talked to MIMB Support and they told me that they don't sell software, they only have OEM agreements with vendors (such as Oracle, IBM, SAP...).

If I buy ERwin, do I need to ask for import/export options? I used de ERwin Community Edition and the ERwin imported the PDM model (with less than 25 entities).

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The ERwin community edition does limit you to small models, so you probably need the full product. As far as I can tell from the ERwin web site, the cost of ERwin includes the Meta Integration bridge.

I wouldn't use XMI for transferring between PD and ERwin - you have to manage an object model in PD, and I wouldn't want to guarantee that the metadata is passed across correctly.

Take a look at the Resichmann Toolbus, especially if have PD extensions or ERwin UDPs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

Resichmann Toolbus is more expensive than ERwin licensing. It could be a great option...

I will try a full ERwin.

Thanks!

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the Reischmann price is an Enterprise licence, so anyone in your organisation can use it

former_member185317
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Reichmann is an enterprise cost and allows anyone in that same business organization access to the Toolbus(es) purchased.

-Matt C.

former_member185317
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I agree with George, but will add that XMI as a standard is only focused on the Object Model and does not really have support for the graphical notations, just the objects. This leaves the graphical rendering to the target tool importing the XMI. This is why we don't see it in high use, though we do support it.

Where as partners like Reischmann and MIMB help with the transition of the graphical plot too depending on the tool used.

Most customers that I have encountered who own both ERwin and PowerDesigner and need this bi-directional functionality use each tools respective Import engine.

HTH,

-Matt C.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our team is currently in transition process from PowerDesigner to ERwin.  I have performed evaluation for both Meta Integration (which is part of the ERwin distribution for Standard and Workgroup licensing) and Reischmann Informatik.

In my opinion, Meta Integration delivers models that better resemble the originals.  Also I don't like when Reischmann suddenly fails converting model, with no informative error message.