cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the technical program name called from a transaction results in loss of flavor?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We've developed a custom transaction to gather various details needed for a Personas application. This started as a local object and we now wish to rename the program and make it available for transporting. Although we have kept the same transaction code when we switch the name of the program (module pool) the flavours associated with the t-code disappeared.

Can anyone advise please.

Regards.

Patrick.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

hi Patrick,

Not very advisable, but since its your custom transaction, you could do a bit of small hack.

Export the flavor, and change the program (from old to new) in there.

Import it back.

(Make sure you create create a copy of your original flavor, just as a back up)

Needless to say, you would have to be careful while doing it. But worth a try.

Regards,

Sushant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think I'm facing the same issue right now. I have developed a flavor to a custom transaction some months ago and now they changed the program name behind the custom transaction. And that results in that the flavor Is not visible anymore. So at this point the flavor looks exactly like Basic View.

What are my options here? They have not transported anything to Quality or Production yet so the flavor devlopments does still show in Quality and Production. Am I able to somehow export the flavor from there to Development, or what is the best option besides building a flavor from scratch?

Best Regards,

Oskar Söderlund

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chinthan/Sushant, Hmmmm ... the help text says ..

Once the flavours are exported to a zip file, the file should not be tampered in any way. Even unzip and zip is considered as tampering. Such tampered zip files shall not be imported.

This suggests that the tampering solution should not be tried or is that just a caveat that can be taken as a warning to be very very careful when attempting this kind of thing?

ALSO - The export flavour option 'SCREEN ID Overwrite Rules' suggests that the program name can be changed ... curious why Chinthan did not mention that - is it intended for another purpose?

I can't find comprehensive explanation of how to make best use of the export/import functions - is there such a document?

Regards.

Patrick

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

As Sushant mentioned, the idea of exporting/changing/importing is a hack, and the tampering warnings are there indicating that there is no support for a scenario like this. So you can try to - very carefully - edit the exported files but don't be surprised if this doesn't exactly work the way you expect. Just like copying a flavor from one transaction to another via a hack... there is the caveat.

Regarding the Screen ID overwrite entries - actually that's an interesting idea and it MAY work. It is not intended for such purposes but the way I see it, it could perhaps help to resolve this; it should be tried.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tamas.

It's just too late in the day for us to fiddle around with hacks - time is not on our side - so we've decided to go with the 'temp' name and put this down as a learning experience.

We did try to experiment with the 'Screen Overwrite' options but couldn't see a way to make it work...

Regards.

Patrick

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

When you export a flavor, it takes the corresponding screen ID overwrite entries with it for the case if these are missing in the system you import the flavor into.

What I meant is: in the target system you may be able to manually define screen ID overwrite entries so that the old name of the program will be seen by Personas instead of the new, and thus this would match the old name the flavor was created for. I can imagine that this would make the flavor with the old program name work again, since this masks the program name change from Personas.

As said, this is not the intended role of the overwrite entries but it may work...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Now I'm in an urgent state of losing a flavor due to a new program beeing created on the transaction we are using. The transport has already went to quality so production is the only place where I can see the flavor.

But when I'm exporting the flavor from production i cant do anything else than transport it.

Later when I'm importing it I thought that I was able to choose so that the flavor I'm importing to development would be attached to the new program. But I'm not able to do anything other than importing the flavor as it is. This cannot be the case? In that case this is completely useless to me and I have to redo the complete flavor which takes around 8 hours to get it perfect. Please replay with a solution asap. Thank you guys.

Best Regards,

Oskar Söderlund

chinthan_yajamaan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Personas screen changes are recorded using Tcode+Program name+screen number combination.. So changing any of this would make the flavor unavailable for that program.

Thanks

Chinthan