cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bin Picking from Top to Bottom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Our client is Chemical Company and managing Materials in Batches.

For Picking , the Batch No will be already determined During MF60 or in case of Sales , during Outbound delivery.

• Capacity Management is active e.g. Say Capacity of Bin is 1000 Kg.  And materials are received in Kg e.g. 250 Kg size Drum.
  • Therefore in a Bin we can place 4 Drums of 250 Kg size and then it will be moved to another Bin etc.
  • Also Storage Unit Mgmt. is activated , hence there will be one storage Unit No. for 4 drums. 
  • e.g. If in the next Bin in first placement there were 3 Drums ( 750 Kg) then it will have Storage Unit No. 1 , And for another placement of 1 Drum ( 250 Kg) in the same Bin there will be Storage Unit No 2

Now Client is having following requirements:

1. If same batch Matl. are available in multiple Bins and at multiple levels.

Then first Pick the Matl. from that Bin where the packing is already open.

2. Second preference is Pick the matl. from Top to Bottom from that rack

For Point No 1 , we will get to know from Storage Unit No. how much is the Occupied weight and accordingly program should pick from that Bin where Storage unit have the least occupied Weight.

For Point No. 2 ,

Storage bin numbering is defined as follows:

(Bay number) – (Column number) – (Row Number)

Ex: 06-01-01

This means bay number 06, column no 01, Level 01

Ex . Bins will be Placed in a rack as below

06-01-07          06-02-07          06-03-07

06-01-06          06-02-06          06-03-06

06-01-05          06-02-05          06-03-05

|                       |                       |

|                       |                       |

06-01-00          06-02-00          06-03-00

Therefore suppose all the Bins are with same matl and same batch , then Program should first pick from the topmost Level i.e. 07 e.g. 06-03-07 , 06-02-07, 06-01-07  and then come to 6th level , next 5th level .... and so on.

Currently program pick like FIFO e.g. during placement  it started with 06-01-00, 06-02-00 .... etc. hence during picking also it starts with 06-01-00 ,06-02-00 .... etc.

I wanted to know if there are any standard methods available to meet above both the requirements and what config I need to do.

Thanks,

JK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can define the picking sequence differently (Top to bottom) in the bin master  however in that case you won't be able to satisfy the FIFO logic hence you need to write your own custom code in user exit MWMTO004  (Define the picking sequence from top to bottom and then as per your code after selecting all the qualified bin, during picking sort it based on the picking sequence number and start allocating the stock to the required quantity)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

Thanks for the reply and I will try that user exit,

Can you please also reply on my Point No1

--------------------------------------

1. If same batch Matl. are available in multiple Bins and at multiple levels.

Then first Pick the Matl. from that Bin where the packing is already open.

-------------------------------------

As mentioned we will be checking this against Storage unit Number, hence please let me know what is the User exit for the same.

Thanks,

JK

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in your thread you mentioned

e.g. If in the next Bin in first placement there were 3 Drums ( 750 Kg) then it will have Storage Unit No. 1 , And for another placement of 1 Drum ( 250 Kg) in the same Bin there will be Storage Unit No 2

It is good that you want to optimize the storage space however i am not very much comfortable with that approach as operationally you will have difficulty to pick the material, suppose you got order for three drum and you are supposed to pick the material from a bin where first three drum are having common SU and another are having different SU which is on front side of bin (i hope this is not Bulk bin as you mentioned there will be one SU number for 3 drum),physically the worker will have difficulty to remove the three from the bin

In those scenario you need to add the material + batch combination stock to the same SU

with regard to your point 2 - if i understood correctly then you want to dispatch partial pallet first and then full pallet if that is correct then Instead of SU number you need to look at LE qty for the material vs the available stock in the bin among the Quant which are qualified for picking or during picking you can write a logic, select all the Quant based on FIFO and then sort based on LQUA-VERME then start allocating the same

you can write the logic in the same user exit which i mentioned earlier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Manish,

I will try for the same and will update here , However it will take time for me till the development gets completed.

Thanks,

JK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

We have Picking Strategy H defined hence unable to activate user exit as it throws the error message that User exit can be activated only for Strategy F or Blank.

Please let me know if there are any other way to meet our requirement

Thanks,

JK