cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage type determination without strategies defined

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus

What do you think about this ? My client is going to use a WM number with six storage type, one storage area per storage type, but probably he will work without any kind of strategies (putaway nor removal one) at storage type level.....all the materials are going to be extended only per WM number bcs they could be storage in any kind of storage type.....Do you think with this scenario I should set in customizing a storage type determination? Which would be the functionality of having this setted? How could this be displayes during the TO creation???

Please Advise ASAP

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I would highly recommand to use the putaway and removal strategies in order to avoid manual specification of bin during TO creation. Either you can identify what material is stored in each rack and then use storage types indicators for storage type search and you can specify all storage types in search strategy but first storage type in strategy can be where they want to put this material most.So by doing this you are making all storage types available for putaway. If that is not possible still define one putaway strategy without storage type indicator and put all storage types in sequence.

Do same for removal, may be you can use FIFO strategy.

BR

Kamal

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I actually recommend that you get familiar with WM by reading the wonderful docu in help.sap.com

It is technically possible to do everything manually, and if you want do this, then you don't need to setup strategies, otherwise they may even have a negative impact on your manual performance and make the work even more difficult.

Honestly, either the warehouse manager has no basic skills how to run a warehouse physically, or it is the consultant who is not able to convince him how it could be done much better and where the benefits are.

This could easily be shown by setting up a pilot to demonstrate how WM cold be run almost automatic  and on the other hand what one needs to enter with any single putaway and picking if all the features are not turned on.

I have never seen a warehouse manager who runs a warehouse without any strategy.  I could even speak to a warehouse worker and ask him why he just  stored  this material in that space.

And he would tell me his story, and this is nothing else than a kind of strategy. And the task of the consultant is either to convince him about a better way of doing it, or to setup WM to accommodate the way how the warehouse is run today. Even random empty spaces are a strategy.