cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

java.stack.overflow error when calling BLS transaction asynchronous (JMS)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In BLS I created a transaction that calls a second transaction, passing an XML document. The second transaction is called asynchronous using action block “Dynamic transaction call”. When calling asynchronous MII is using JMS.

In some cases we get a java.stack.overflow error. This happens when the XML document is too big (in our case above 144 kb).

If I switch back to a synchronous call it works okay.

My assumption is that there is some kind if maximum message size set on Netweaver/JMS.

Question: is my assumption correct? If yes, does someone know where to change this?

We are using MII 12.2, Netweaver 7.30.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Frank,

Does this error occur on the workbench when you run the transaction? What does the log file say?

StackOverflowError means that a recursive loop is running causing JVM to overflow. If it has anything to do with JMS you will not get anything on workbench. Everything will be logged in netweaver logs.

Regards,

Anushree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anushree,

Thanks for the reply.

There is no recursive loop used (just a 1 time call). I am running this from workbench. The error is visible in workbench (also in transaction manager and NW log).

The XML document I am using, is defined as an input parameter of FG_Transaction_1.

When calling the 2e transaction in synchronous mode I don't get the error.

When making the XML document smaller I also don't get the error.

In Asynchronous mode MII is using JMS. So somehow, when the document is too large, it is blocked.

regards Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

By recursive call I meant a recursion in java code, not workbench. Can you please post the entire exception stack for this error. You will get this in default trace file of NW.

Regards,

Anushree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anushree,

Please guide me to what you need to see.

In NW log (system logs & traces) I currently see 2 entries for the same error.

How to download the log?

regards Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

Currently you are looking at System Logs and Traces. You need to navigate to Java logs(Last 24 hours). You can get these if you click on View  - > Java Logs.

Here you will see this error and if you expand the entry(click on + sign) you will see the entire stack of the exception.

Regards,
Anushree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anushree,

I don't see the Java log last 24 hours, so took the developer traces.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

You must be using NW 7.3 then. This error does not show any details. Are there any other entries above or below this error which show the entire exception trace? Ideally there should be. You will see java.lang.StackOverflowError and then an entire sequence stating where this error came from.

xmii might not be mentioned in the trace though.

Regards,

Anushree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anushree,

If found the following in the developer trace, is this what you are looking for?

regards Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

This is exactly what I was looking for. Can you copy and paste the entire trace here. In the image only part of the trace is visible.

Regards,

Anushree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anushree,

Last part of the trace is as follow:

In between is just repeating the same set of lines.

regards Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

Please increase the stack size of your JVM according to SAP note 1895234

Regards,

Anushree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anushree,

I  was very busy with other things (and still am) so I had no time to check your suggested solution, but it sounds very promising. As soon as I have some time I will try it and give some feedback.

grt Frank

former_member185280
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a 'Binary Size Limit' setting for the max number of kb that can be posted to a transaction that might apply.

System Properties - System Management - SAP Library

Regards,
Christian