cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to SQL DB > Target Principal in Incorrect

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was unsure which subject to post this under and as could've fallen under 2 or 3.

Basically I'm running through the Managed System Config on Sol Man for an ECC QAS system.  The DEV system ran through fairly easily.  QAS is not quite the case.

Step 5:  Enter System Parameters > DB Parameters

I've used Windows Authentication (like I did with the DEV system) with an appropriate domain user and password.

I've also created a new user in SQL Management Studio on the Managed System, made is sysadm and tried to connect using that user

But I'm seeing the following error:

SQL error 2146893022- : SQL Server Network Interfaces: The target principal name is incorrect.

Searching online hasn't thrown up much by way of a solution and my SQL knowledge is almost Zero.

DNS all checks out, no problems there. Ping tests are return the expected results.

If anyone has any ideas they would be gratefully received!

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

giri_ayyagari
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Paul

are you using SQL Server replication on database servers? if so you may be having issues of Kerberos auth issues. please confirm and also post event viewer screen shot also.

-Giri

Former Member
0 Kudos

The root of the problem has not been solved - but a workaround has been found by going to DBACOCKPIT on the managed system in question and manually entering the user credentials that you're trying to connect with.

No idea why it didn't work the 'correct' way!