Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java AS refuses SSL client cert authentication with: "is not a CA certificate"

former_member190457
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup client certificate authentication on a Java AS 7.31 SP13.

I followed all the available online manuals, importing keys and certificates, configuring keystore in NWA and also configuring ICM.

Still, in ICM I get the following error:

[Thr 1944] SSL_get_state() returned 0x00001181 "SSLv3 read client certificate B"

[Thr 1944] *** ERROR during SecudeSSL_SessionStart() from SSL_accept()==SSL_ERROR_SSL

[Thr 1944] session uses PSE file "D:\usr\sap\PO1\J00\sec\SAPSSLS.pse"

[Thr 1944] SecudeSSL_SessionStart: SSL_accept() failed --

[Thr 1944] secude_error 9 (0x00000009) = "the verification of the client's certificate chain failed"

[Thr 1944] >> ---------- Begin of Secude-SSL Errorstack ---------- >>

[Thr 1944] ERROR in ssl3_get_client_certificate: (9/0x0009) the verification of the client's certificate chain failed

[Thr 1944] ERROR in af_verify_Certificates: (24/0x0018) Chain of certificates is incomplete

[Thr 1944] ERROR in get_path: (106/0x006a) Can't verify certificate with PKRoot: Is not a CA certificate

[Thr 1944] << ---------- End of Secude-SSL Errorstack ----------

The client certificate that I'm using is self-signed, but I've imported it as Trusted CA and also in the SSL keystores in NWA.

Also, I've updated the profile parameters for ICM:

icm/HTTPS/trust_client_with_subject

icm/HTTPS/trust_client_with_issuer

Not sure what is going on here, in particular I don't understand the "Is not a CA certificate" message.

Sorry if this is some naive question, but I'm pretty new to these topics and any help would be greatly appreciated

Could anyone please assist?

Thanks, regards

Vincenzo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
former_member190457
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, thanks for your help

Actually I am aware of the SAP note but it applies to ABAP stacks.

Also, the message applies to "the verification of the server's certificate chain failed"

while in my case I have problems with the client certificates.

I've done the equivalent configuration steps in the Java AS: importing the relevant certificates in the SSL keystores and in Trusted CAs keystore.

Any idea what could be wrong here?

Thanks, regards

Vincenzo

former_member190457
Contributor
0 Kudos

The problem was that any x.509 v3 certificate which must act as a CA, must have an attribute "Basic Constraints" with values "CA" or "End Entity", otherwise it can't be used as CA. This requirement applies also in case of self-signed certificates.

Answers (0)