cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webservices over File

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using file system to bring the files in ECC via SAP PI. This system is secured ( SFTP) and works fine.

ECC is run on batch mode nightly, where all jobs runs in night, pushes data to PI ( proxy, IDOC) and then PI pushes the data via File ( SFTP) to third party.The pull mechanism is same where PI pulls the data in stipulated time and then provides in form Proxy, IDOC to ECC.

For new ingratiation to third party, we are debating weather to go for SOAP or continue with file bases system.

Since we are batch driven shop, there is no need to call SOAP ( which i think is mostly for real time). Also volume of data is another concern.

Since we push the data once in night, we are not sure if SOAP can handle huge volume. Also if there is connection failure to this party system, PI via

file system pushes/pulls  every 2-3 mins. This system ensure there is no human involvement and once the third party system is up & running, the integration is back online.

Can you advice from above what would be the advantages of using SOAP over File based.

We are covered for security as we are using SFTP as well private VPN for connection to third party.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

SOAP is not a good solution to do a file-mover. First of all, because you can affect your PI performance, depending your system of course it could be handle more or lees size messages.

I think you want to start a sender file communication channel in run-time, you can start a sender communication channel from ABAP (i think you need at least a PI 7.1): http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2011/05/24/startstop-a-communication-channel...

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please advice if anyone have any more suggestions. Thanks!

azharshaikh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Based on the scenario you mentioned, I also believe that the current File transfer would be apt solution going forward.

Incase you decide to make it SOAP based, it might require additional developments to convert Flat files (Non-XML) to XML format (and vice-versa), as in SOAP we dont have FCC option directly available unlike File/FTP.

Regards,
Azhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for quick reply. As far as efforts to convert into File, this is new scenario we are building.

Current scenario would still run on file and we are debating if this new scenario should be built on SOAP or continue using the file. Development would anyway be needed for both.

Regards