Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't start two instances in server at the same time

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I can't able to start two different instances ( eg: PCP & PCD) in a single server at the same time. Please note that in our environment both the instances share the same port number ( eg:4901 ).

kindly advice.

Regards

Praveen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear

you can start 2 server instance at one time but you need to maintain two listener and both should different database instance

just maintain two listener services then u can achieve this but the port number for both is same then u will not able to start both instance at one time

Regards

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi Ragendra,

Can u please tell me how to define listener?

Regards

Praveen

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear

you have to modify following file

D:\app\administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\NETWORK\ADMIN\listener

you can set 2 instance in one listener

hope this will help you

Regards

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Not clear with your issues. like you are mentioning port number 4901, but we have never heard such type of port.

Can you elaborate like below:

1. Database version.

2. SAP instance version

3. Instance numbers

4. Log file of R3trans -d of failed instance.

Additional log you feel will give some highlight on the issue.

Regards,

Anil Bhandary

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

How is port 4901 used by the SAP systems ?

It would be easy to help you if you supply the logs of the SAP system that failed to start.

Unfortunately I completely disagree with the above suggestions to configure Oracle listener.

Ports used by the SAP systems are based on the system numbers. If you have two systems on one box with same system then there will be port conflicts. You cannot assign the same system number to multiple SAP systems on a machine.

Lastly stop cross posting. There is no need to create multiple threads on different spaces.

Cheers

RB

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

1. Is it any requirement to start the both instance same time? Why you can't star the instance on after another?

2. As for as I know you can't share the any one of the ports in SAP instance

Regards

SS

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi SS,

here we  are using one instance for study purpose and the other for official use.

1.yes. We tried starting one after another but it didn't work..

2. Are u telling that we can't use two instances at the same time on same server?

Awaiting ur earliest reply

Regards

praveen

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen

1.yes. We tried starting one after another but it didn't work.

Are you getting any error message? could you share the error log and screen shot?   

2. Are u telling that we can't use two instances at the same time on same server?

I said that you may not share the port in SAP instance level, but you can have number of SAP instance one physical box (based on your resources availability)

Regards

Sriram