Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personas 2.0 SP02 - Script errors & non functioning buttons

abhijeet_dadarkar2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have been working on creating a flavor on transaction ME22N. We are using SAP Screen Personas 2.0 SP02.

I have been noticing two inconsistent errors lately,

1. Screen buttons not functioning - Sometimes, screen buttons (for example, Header and Item Details Expand, Collapse buttons do not work). Or if I wrap certain standard buttons in script buttons (the only script step is clicking the standard buttons), and click the script buttons, nothing happens, no script errors, nor do the actions performed by the wrapped standard buttons (such as Save, Add Item, Remove Item etc.) get executed.
  2. Script errors (Step "*" of executed script failed) - This is another error that has me stumped. This error was not occurring when I tested, but now, it is occurring for every script button in the flavor. And it is erratic, sometimes, I can execute the script button actions after a couple of clicks, sometimes no amount of clicks can get this resolved. (I have added a screenshot below). The latest notes have been implemented, but still no success.

I simply wanted to check if anyone else has encountered these errors before.

Regards,

Abhijeet

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

ME22N (and other, similarly complex transactions using Enjoy controls) are quite challenging when it comes to creating Personas flavors. A lot of objects have embedded elements which themselves consist of multiple embedded elements as well, and so on - which then can cause issues.

I'm not sure about the exact reason for the problems you are experiencing, but in general, you should try to avoid changing the size of the scrollable and stretchable containers or be very careful when relocating containers. According to my experience, such actions can easily cause certain functions not to work correctly, including proper collapsing and extending containers.

Playing around with ungrouping such embedded controls may help too, but it has to be tried to see the result.

The Step * script error is almost certainly caused by some issue with tab caching / merging. Due to the actions behind the scenes that are happening because of caching, a control that you'd think is available is not seen by the flavor. It is likely that you'll have to revisit your flavor design to get around the problem.

Sorry to be vague but finding the culprit requires to look directly at the situation and it's not possible to give the exact reason remotely.

Also, you mentioned that you have all the latest notes applied. Does this also include the very latest Personas client version (059) which came out last Thursday (9th of October)? Just asking because it has been discovered that there is a problem in this patch with hiding elements and still accessing them via script, so I suspect that this may have some role here.

If so, then you'll have to revert to the earlier client version (036).

Development support is aware of the problem already.

abhijeet_dadarkar2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tamas,

Thank you for your response.

Actually, I have changed the size of scrollable containers and relocated them to allow for easier maintenance. What I do is take out the tab controls from their containers (so the only container they have is the user area) and move the containers to the bottom of the user area and resize them.

The Step * occurs for any script button. For example, I am clicking on the Print Preview button (or Open Other Order button) using script buttons and automating certain actions. These buttons are in the top toolbar and not in any tabs. Even these have stopped working.

But the funny aspect is, the issues did not show up during development, once the flavor was complete, every button started to fail and does so sporadically.

Would there be a best practices guideline published anywhere for Personas? I have a few ideas regarding maintenance but am not sure about the steps that should be avoided beforehand.

And, yes, the note on 9th October has been implemented, but it was implemented as a response to the OSS messages raised for the above issues, so the issues have no relation to the notes.

Regards,

Abhijeet

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

As I wrote, resizing and relocating the scrollable containers is a touchy subject which should be handled with caution. Personally, unless it is absolutely required, I avoid changing their size and am extremely careful with relocation as well, knowing that I got myself into a predicament that was not fixable after a while, unless I used the 'Undo' button many-many times, losing other changes I did along the way.

"Your mileage may vary", of course

As for the Step * error, in case you do have cached tabs, I'd bet it won't happen anymore if you turned off tab caching. At least that's my experience... try to experiment and see what happens.

Regarding pressing the buttons via a script: are those buttons hidden by any chance?

If they are, then this MAY be the effect of the latest Personas client from the 9th of October which is known to have an issue with hidden objects.

abhijeet_dadarkar2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tamas,

The Step * error, is definitely the tab caching (as you mentioned). I built the flavor slowly, testing the script buttons each time something was changed by me. Once I started cached the tabs, the script buttons started failing.

How did you get around this?

We have 16 tabs in ME21N, and we cannot keep all of them in place just to avoid the error.

Regards,

Abhijeet

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

It's difficult to answer this question without actually looking at your flavor.

What I'd suggest is cache only one tab, add your script button and see if it works. Then go step-by-step to determine what causes it to fail.

If it fails immediately just by having a single tab cached and one script pressing a standard toolbar button, then it may be time to create an OSS incident.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I found some button which i created on Basic View cannot be worked, even i already key in the Transaction at "define launch button properites". Is it related to "changing the size of the scrollable and stretchable containers" or there are some configuration i should do or it related to authorization problem?

Could you suggest me. Many Thanks.

Regards,

SAP User

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

abhijeet_dadarkar2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tamas,

Just to inform you, the issue with Script Button errors due to tab caching is now resolved after applying the patch released on 30th Oct 2014.

Regards,

Abhijeet