cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Mobile Documents - Questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm completely new to SAP Mobile Documents, I'm having a look at it and I'm trying to understand its features and assess whether it would be suitable for us.

As such I have a few questions, for which I couldn't find any related content so far. But hopefully you can point me in the right direction:

1) Is it possible to edit documents in the mobile devices (if supported by the device)? Or does it allow display only?

2) Does it have any workflow capability? For example, if someone wants to share a document that is classified as confidential with an external party, is it possible to setup a system driven approval step before the sharing happens?

3) Does it trace the files in terms of who's downloaded a copy outside of the platform?

4) Can you remotely delete files from the sahred folders in the mobile devices using any MDM or is that possible only with Afaria?

5) Can you connect to existing Windows file servers (not Sharepoint, not Portal KM, not Documentum) and share documents from within that server? And if so, does it follow the same permissions that users have in each folder of the file server?

Thank you.

Federico

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188370
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Frederico,

see answers below. 

1) Is it possible to edit documents in the mobile devices (if supported by the device)? Or does it allow display only?

For editing documents, open-in is supported to edit documents and write back to SAP Mobile Documents.
Editing in-place is on the roadmap (for details see https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700001127472013E.pdf - requires login to SAP Service Marketplace)

2) Does it have any workflow capability? For example, if someone wants to share a document that is classified as confidential with an external party, is it possible to setup a system driven approval step before the sharing happens?

Workflow functionality has already been implemented by consulting on a project base. Workflow capability is also on the roadmap.

3) Does it trace the files in terms of who's downloaded a copy outside of the platform?

This is also planned.

4) Can you remotely delete files from the sahred folders in the mobile devices using any MDM or is that possible only with Afaria?

The SAP Mobile Documents mobile app has an optional security code. If this security code is entered several times not correct, the app will delete all files that have been synced to the device. In addition, SAP Afaria can delete the app remotely which will also result a data wipe

5) Can you connect to existing Windows file servers (not Sharepoint, not Portal KM, not Documentum) and share documents from within that server? And if so, does it follow the same permissions that users have in each folder of the file server?

Yes. Windows File Shares can be connected to SAP Mobile Documents through KM. This also allows the permissions to be reflected in SAP Mobile Documents.

Regards,
Jens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

Thank you very much for your answers!!!

Would you be able to share with me the actual SAP Mobile Documents Roadmap with high level dates? For my questions 1, 2 and 3 you indicated these are in the roadmap, so I'm trying to get an idea of when these would be available.

For question 5, are you able to point me to a document or blog where I can find more information on how to set this up? We have a veru big Windows file structure and we don't want to replicate this anywhere but rather make it accessible via mobile securely.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Federico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

Please disregard my last question regarding the Roadmap. I just opened the link you shared and that pretty much answers that question.

Thanks!!!

former_member188370
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Frederico,

there are different how-to guides available on our SCN page: http://scn.sap.com/community/mobile-documents --> Implementation & Integration

This document describes the connection to Windows File Share using a service user connection.

We plan to publish the information on how connect using the user's permissions soon.

Answers (0)