cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Storage Bin Type

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I am working with the implementation of SAP WM for a client; he will NOT work with SUT but he defined three different storage bin type; my question is how the system will use these three different bins types in the put away process and removal? i mean which would be the logic used by the system to automatically propose one type or other? Material Master Data will be only created at WM number not Storage type one....

Please advise.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cathy,

Storage Bin type help to map which type of pallet(Storage unit type) will go into which type of storage  bin. if the storage unit is not active in your warehouse for any of the Storage type then i don't think system will consider any logic.

If i will take your query then my question to you is against what business rule you are looking system to suggest different type of Bin

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member198492
Contributor
0 Kudos

HI

Bit confused!

If you are not activating Storage Type in your warehouse, how can you have Storage Bin Types? Without a Storage Type you cannot have any Storage Bins.

WM Basic best practice map:

Plant --> Storage Location --> Warehouse --> Storage Type --> Storage Section --> Storage Bin Type --> Storage Bin

We initially went live with a generic warehouse. This meant that any stock could be putaway and picked to/from any storage bin. There were no rules. There were no automated picking or putaway stratergies as the business deemed this 'over-kill'.

We have since put in a putaway stratergy which requires a Storage Section, Storage Bin Type along with out current basic warehouse data of Storage Type and Storage Bin.

I would push for Storage Types and Storage Bins.

Regards

Darren

Former Member
0 Kudos

I mean that I will not use SUT (Storage Unit Type) nor Handling Units but of course i will have several storage types, my doubt is which the function of the maxim weight defined int the creation of storage bins and on the other hand which would be the pourpose int this scenario to have different storage bin types....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cathy,

In standard SAP, you can not use storage bin types without activation of storage unit management for storage type. If you see configuration storage bin type is linked to storage unit type.

But if you want to restrict on weight basis, then you can use capacity check method for storage types and then you can specify maximum weight any bin can have in bin master data. So system will not allow you to put more than allowed weight.

BR

Kamal

Former Member
0 Kudos

We use the storage bin type for defining a range of storage bins for a certain storage section which exist in storage type.

Regards..