Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting the Planning Level for Statistical Forecast in S&OP on HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello together,

we currently face an issue regarding the statistical forecast in S&OP on HANA:

The customer wants to implement an S&OP process containing the two steps statistical forecast (automatically calculated) and sales forecast (manually determined). The planning level of the statistical forecast should be higher than the planning level of the sales forecast, i.e. the statistical forecast is calculated on a higher planning level and then disaggregated to be an input for the manually determined sales forecast.

Since it doesn't seem to be possible to disaggregate any key figure below its base planning level we need to have the lower sales planning level as base planning level in all key figures, including the input and output key figures of the statistical forecast.

When running a statistical forecast with a defined forecasting profile, the planning level used for the forecast seems to be the base planning level of the input/output key figures defined in the forecasting profile.

However, we need to define a higher planning level for the statistical forecast in order to have a better data base for recognizing trends and sesonality. In APO DP it is possible to define the planning level for the forecast when running/scheduling the forecasting job. Is this also possible in S&OP on HANA? Can we define the planning level for the forecast in the forecasting profile or when running the forecast from the Excel AddIn? I tried to use the field "Filter" in the forecasting profile as it listed all the planning levels (as well as a lot of other things, we don't know where they come from), but the forecast was still carried out on the base planning level.

Do you have any other idea where to define the forecasting planning level that is different from the base planning level of the input/output key figures?

Thank you in advance,

Jonathan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Doing a stat forecast at an aggregate level and then dis-aggregating the results can be configured. I believe there's another post on the community with the details from about 6 months ago (or more)...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bert,

thank you for your fast answer. I checked the forum again and found this post:

However, I don't really get how the disaggregation is meant to work; the suggestion seems to be to calculate a forecast on an aggregated level, i.e. with input and output key figure with an aggregated base planning level, and then disaggregate it "somehow".

Do you have any idea how this disaggregation might work and what other steps I have to consider?

It seems as if I'd have to define a whole bunch of new key figures and have more than one output key figure but no input key figure for the statistical forecast, which doesn't make sense in my eyes.

Actually I was looking for a solution where I can define my forecasting profile with both input and output key figure on the lower planning level and then insert the level I want the forecast to be done at either in the profile as well, or even more flexible when running or scheduling a forecast. Defining more key figures any time I need another forecasting level does not appear very comfortable. Is it meant to be like that or is there another way to reach the goal mentioned above?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Edit: The mentioned thread contains some valuable information on how to disaggregate key figures. However, the really tricky decision is how to define the disaggregation ratio.

Answers (0)