Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agentry 7.x - Trigger an action from a transaction screen

Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to implement an advanced search action to be called during an add transaction action.

My idea is basically a button in the Add transaction screen. After the button is pushed the user navigates to another screen where he enters the advanced search values, then a list of results is displayed, user selects one and goes back to the initial Add transaction screen with the value populated (I could update a global main object property for that).

I did a search in SCN and found a thread stating that this was not possible in 2011 () . But after 3 years and many enhancements in Agentry maybe the feature has been implemented?

Otherwise, could you suggest a work around to implement this search functionality? My first idea is force the user to do the search before showing the Add transaction screen, but it is not very user friendly to be honest.

Thanks in advance,

Marçal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Marçal,

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to launch actions from within a transaction.  The best option is as you mention, change the flow to have them preselect before starting the transaction.  The other choice would be to "simulate" a transaction using a detail screen.  This involves a lot of extra work to setup.

My only other thought is to possibly use OpenUI.  I will have to look into this further (when time permits).

--Bill

Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bill, thank you.

What do you mean by simulate a transaction using a detail screen? And why it is such an extra work?

I think here in the forum I read something about having a tile in a detail screen somehow embedding a transaction. Is that what you mean, is it feasible?

Regarding the OpenUI option, I don't see how, since it is not possible to pass a complex table... But I see that in the OpenUI tab there is a list of actions that can be added. I've never used that option (only External values and Agentry values), could I somehow use this to trigger my Search action even it is not related to OpenUI?

- Marçal

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Marçal,

No I am not referring to Tile Edits although that might be another workaround to consider.  What I was referring to was using a detail screen to get user input and then using an action grab the values and execute a transaction to store / update the data.

It is a lot of extra work since it is not using the standard transaction framework.  You will have to manually setup extra rules, actions etc to make it work.  It also will not look exactly like a transaction so there is also that to consider.

Regarding the OpenUI option I was wondering if the control could call an action if it was on a transaction screen.  I am not sure if it will work or not.  Something to investigate if time permits.

--Bill

--Bill

Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

All right, I understand the possibilities now. Thanks a lot.

I'll try to see which one is the least worst

It's a pity that such functionality is not implemented yet.

Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

I did a POC calling the action CATSRecordAddWrapper from OpenUI using a button in AddNotification transaction screen and it works. I could create a time record, go back to notification screen, finish the notification, and all the objects were successfully created.

So I will update the correct answer for this thread, since now there is at least one way to do what I wanted.

- Marçal

Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think I've counted my chickens before they hatched here...

If after executing this action called by Open UI from a transaction screen the user decides to cancel the original transaction (in my example if the user cancels the AddNotification transaction after calling CATSRecordAddWrapper action), the Agentry client partially freezes and only works fine again after touching the Android back button.

I'm not sure if I can do something to solve this unwanted behavior.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sravanthi_polu
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my understanding you are trying to fill the result of search in to a particular field in Add transaction.Since it is not possible to trigger an action from transaction screens,define complex tables in the application,make the field edit type in screen as complex table search or complex table drop down,that allows searching using indexes.This may be one possible solution for your requirement.

Thanks & Regards,

Sravanthi Polu

Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sravanthi,

Thanks but the advanced search functionality I want to implement it is more complex than the options available when you search by indexes in a complex table field. That's why I need a separate action.