cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from SAP PI/PO Consultant to SAP SCM APO Consultant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SCN Experts,

I work for an Indian based MNC as a SAP PI/PO expert from past 6 years .For one of the immediate client requirement (support role) @Client location(USA) ,I'm asked to switch over to SAP SCM APO .They are not forcing me to switch over .They left option open to me .They said they will provide relevant KT on SCM .

I'm in dilemma what to do .Could you please suggest as early as possible.

1)What is the market share for SAP SCM product when compared to other SCM vendors like oracle ?

2)How much time does it take to settle down ?

3)Is it recommended ? because I don't have ABAP knowledge,but I'm having strong base in Core Java Development.

4)Does this makes my career end in mess ?

Regards

Venkat

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

marianoc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

I am not sure what are the possibilities for a SAP PO/PI consultant in the market.. It would not be correct to give a recommendation without a real perspective.
I just can mentioned a few things related to APO SCM.

Let me try to share my opinion of your 4 points:

1- I think most of the companies that have ECC will choose APO SCM rather than a SCM application in other platform (like oracle). So the comparison against Oracle would be correct if you are evaluating to convert yourself into a consultant of an Oracle Solution and this is not the case..

If you compare SAP vs Oracle, Oracle seems to be in the first place, base on forbes:

IDC's Business Analytics Market Share Update Shows Oracle In The Lead - Forbes

2- I am not sure if we can tell you how much time you will take to settle down. This depends on you and on what settle down means for you. It also depends on if you have a Supply chain background or not. If you don't you maybe will be working in the dark.. meaning that you will be learning lot of things without a real idea of what you are learining.

3-If you have or not ABAP knowledge is not relevant. You can be a very good SCM consultant without any knowledge of ABAP.

4- I don't understand what do you mean with this expresion (sorry about it). Just note that you carreer depend 100% of you.

As an additional comment, just note that SAP is being ending the support of APO in 2020. This does not means that APO will disappear.. just wanted to let you know that something new is coming.. read about HANA, APO, etc..

Here you have a thread to start with a reading:

Good luck!

Kind Regards,

Mariano

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SCM APO Experts,

Could you please share your suggestions .

NOTE:Good Reward points will be awarded for quick and valuable suggestions .

Regards

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Strange ,not even a single suggestion from SCM experts.

Regards

Venkat