cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to 2012 SQL database

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to connect to a 2012 SQL database using the OLE DB provider panel for SQL Server.  I have never used CR reports before, so this first go around hasn't been much fun.   We are using CR version 14.1.1 

When I try to connect, I get the following error:

Logon failed.

Details:  ADO Error Code: 0x80040e4d

Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

Description: Login failed for user 'xxxxx\xxxxx'.

SQL State: 42000

Native Error:  18456 [Database Vendor Code: 18456]

The DBA folks don't know why this isn't connecting.    When I suggested trying the ODBC interface, they told me that the Data Source Name should have had SQL in the list...and it doesn't.   All that is in the source box is dBASE Files, Excel Files and MS Access Database. 

Can someone help, please?   We are trying CR as a trial to see if this will work for us.  Obviously, if we can't get it to connect to the database, we won't be purchasing CR.    

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Crystal is still 32 bit.  If you have created an ODBC datasource and you cannot see that datasource in Crystal, that usually indicates the datasource was created using the 64 bit ODBC Administrator.

If you have not created the ODBC datasource then you will need to do that using the 32 bit ODBC Administrator.  Once you have created the datasource and tested it, Crystal should be able to connect to it when you create a new ODBC connection.

Same goes for OLE DB.

Good luck,

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just talked to the DBA team.  All our databases are 64 bit.  Does this mean we can't use CR with any of our databases?

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi PB,

With a SQL Server Database you need to make sure you're using the SQL Server Native Client Driver.

Here are instructions on where you can find it:

1) First go to :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29065

2) Expand the "Install Instructions" section

3) Scroll down to the "MICROSOFT SQL SERVER CONNECTIVITY FEATURE PACK COMPONENTS" section (it's far down)

4) Under the "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client" heading, click one of the "sqlncli.msi" installation package links.

5) If you're trying to install this on a 32-bit machine, choose:

X86 Package for 32-bit

If you're trying to install this on a 64-bit machine, choose:

X64 Package for 64-bit

You can then either create a 32-bit ODBC on the machine or simply use an OLEDB(using the SQl Server Native Client Driver that CR should list in the Database Expert > OLEDB option)

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhilash.  Downloaded the 2012 Native Client and it did indeed show up on the OLE DB interface.  Tried to log in and got the following error:

Logon failed.

Details:  ADO Error Code 0x80040e4d

Source: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0

Description: Login failed for user 'xxxx\xxxx'.

SQL State 28000

Native Error: 18456 [Database Vendor Code 18456]

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"Database Vendor Code" is the error code that's coming from the database client software.  Doing a quick Google search on "SQL Server Error Code 18456" brings up a lot of information about what may be causing the error.  It could be as simple as a misspelled password, it could be a more complicated issue like not having SQL Server authentication enabled in the database, or it could be a lot of other things.  Because there are a number of possibilities for the cause, you should look through them and determine from that what is happening to prevent the login.

-Dell

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That looks like an issue on the Database Side. You would need to work with your DBA to resolve this.

-Abhilash

Answers (0)