Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Extension to another plant

former_member206170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am having difficulty in understanding the material extension functionality. Below is the case scenario and I would like to have your opinion on this.

Material - MAT01 is already available in plant PLA1 which has "Delivery Plant" as PLA1. This material needs to be extended to plant PLA2, however I am not sure if the Delivery plant should be "PLA1" or "PLA2"?

I understand that when a material is extended to a new plant (over here it is PLA2) the delivering plant should also be the same i.e. PLA2. Is my understanding correct? Please help.

Thanks,
Himanshu.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member206170
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answers.

So does it mean that a material in a particular sales org and dist channel can have only one Delivering plant (lets say PLA01) even if the material MAT01 is extended to a different plant (PLA02) as shown below?

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes.

former_member206170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dibyendu,

Thanks for the confirmation, however dont you think it is fundamentally and logically wrong. As from the above screenshot (in my previous response) if you check, if I want to sell Apple laptops from Delhi plant (but they are out of stock), so I want to deliver the product from the Bangalore plant. Shouldn't the delivering plant for the material extended in PLA02 (Bangalore Plant) be "PLA02".

Or may be my understanding all these years has been wrong?

Thanks,

Himanshu

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Generally Delivering Plant is used in sales order. System will pick the delivery plant with regards to sales organization and distribution channel. Here, plant will not be a criteria to select the delivery plant.

if you want to sale the laptop from different delivery plant but your sales organization and distribution channel is same, then you need to change the delivery plant manually in sales order.

But I am quite sure, the sales organization and distribution channel would not be same if the plant will be in different location.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Prasoon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Delivering Plant in material master refers to the plant from which the goods will be issued to the customer for a specific sales organization and distribution channel combination. You can have same delivering plant for multiple sales area as well. The delivering plant in material master is only for sales organization and distribution channel combination (data stored in MVKE table) and the no relation with the plant (MARC-WERKS).

Refer the help doc: Delivering Plants - Basic Functions and Master Data in SD Processing (SD-BF) - SAP Library

Regards,

AKPT

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First of all, I am not sure, why you have posted this query in MM forum which should have been in Sales forum.

Coming to your query, it is neither right nor wrong.  It is all depends upon the Business requirement.  You can have either of those plants as Delivering Plant as long as they are extended to the respective sales area in OVX5.

G. Lakshmipathi

former_member206170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmipathi,

Apologies for posting it in the incorrect forum. It was related to extension of Material so I was not sure which is the correct forum. Request your help to move the question to the right forum.

Thank you for your answer. I was waiting for it. I will first check the Business Requirement and ask for help if necessary.

Thanks,

Himanshu.

former_member206170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi LakshmiPathi,

So when you say either of those delivering plants can be used, we would want to know which combination according to you in the below screenshot is correct? Please confirm.

Thanks,

Himanshu

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The delivery plant will not depend on your plant.

This is depend upon sales organization and distribution channel.

You can't maintain different delivery plant with different plant. You can maintain different delivery plant with different sales organization and distribution channel.

former_member190893
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, when ever u extend the material to another plant, manually change the Delivering plant.i.e - PLA2 to also by default PLA1 is Assigned. Regards Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhushan,

Your understanding is wrong, when the material is extended to another plant PLA2, there also you can have the delivering plant as PLA1 , which is maintained based on your sales process in you client.

Regards,

Bhargavi