cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cache Server is not working!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

We're using SAP Content-Server on our company on Location A and now we installed the SAP Cache Server on Location B. We are working with Case Management and KPro documents. After we completed the Content- and Cache Server customizing, I have done some tests and realized, that the Cache Server is not working correctly - it only works for .TXT files - and I dont know why!

After debugging some code, we detected, that SAP is using different methods for calling .TXT-file, Office-documents, PDF-files and so on... and we think the problem is the location-parameter, which is only returned correctly (location=B for users on location B) when opening a .TXT-file. (Of course we are working with locations - transaction SCMSHO - and with the userparameter "LCA" for the users on location B). But this is only speculation...

Summary:

- we customized the Cache Server in transaction OALO (KPro-locations), SCMSHO (locations of the servers), SCMSCA (caches) and of course CSADMIN

- Content-Server on location A, Cache-Server on location B

- users on location B have the user-parameter "LCA" = B

- Cache-Server works perfect only for .txt-files but not for office-files, pdf-files and so on!

Does anybody know this issue?

Thanks a lot!

Marc

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

Parameter LCA is a good way to test the Caching function. I like this too.
The customizing in SCMSIP is really a lot of work and LCA allows you to test either.
Later on you have to take care that no one uses LCA after SCMSIP is set.

What i would do in your case is to activate trace in SM59 for the correct RFC Destination (saphttp/saphttpa?) and then to check the tracefiles with Report RSHTTP40.

Maybe you´ll see what happens in case of a Textfile compared to a pdf.

But, deep Investigation is recommended.

Best regards

Martin Schneider

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

thanks for your reply. I activated the trace for SAPHTTP and SAPHTTPA and after that, I opened a .TXT and a .DOC file. With Report RSHTTP40 I can only see some entries for the .DOC-Call (always the content server) but nothing for the .TXT-Call (which works perfect -> Cache Server).

It seems like the .TXT-Call takes SAPHTTP and the .DOC-Call SAPHTTPA, because SAPHTTP starts the saphttp.exe on frontend (I guess thats required for the userparameter LCA=HU) and SAPHTTPA startes the saphttp.exe on application server...

I have no idea what to do ... and SAP cant help at the moment.

Any other ideas?

Best regards,

Marc

0 Kudos

Hi Marc, First of all: How do you realize that caching is not working? Is it possible to open both files (txt/doc) without errors, when there´s no parameter LCA? Is there a difference in the way your test files  are stored in SAP? Are they both stored in the same storage category? (just to avoid some hindering conditions). Could you anyhow verify that there isn´t a misconfiguration either in "data-carrier" or "Workstation applications" in Transaction SPRO? (Sorry, but this is too complex to describe here in some sentences) Best regards Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

thanks again. Here is the description of my test case:

On location A:

- I uploaded a 10 MB .TXT-file and a 10 MB .DOC-file with Case Management into our content server.

- I checked the correct storage of these files with function module SDOK_LOIO_GET_URI. For both files I got a content server path back.

On location B:

- I set the userparameter LCA=B (but the document-call works without the parameter as well)

- Time to open the .TXT file the first time from this location: ~40 seconds (access to content server and copy the file to cache server)

- Time to open the .TXT file the second time (after restart the transaction): ~5 seconds

- Time to open the .DOC file the first time from this location: ~40 seconds

- Time to open the .DOC file the second time (after restart the transaction): ~40 seconds

The data-carrier-customizing is fine. We didn't use the workstation applications-customizing.

Best regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Update: After a long discussion, SAP said, that the cache server doesnt work for documents which are displayed inplace in SAP document viewer (word-files, excel-files, pdf, ...). Cache server only works for documents as they will not be displayed by a viewer.

Workaround: for example, if you wish to use the cache server for .docx - documents, go to table TOADD and remove the application type for this document type (keep the field empty). After that, .docx will not longer displayed in the sap document viewer but the cache server works for it.

In my opinion, this standard procedure from sap makes no sense...

Regards,

Marc

Answers (0)