cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locks/enqueues blocking for 15 minutes due to ABAP runtime error?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we had an issue that whole SAP system was inaccessible for about 15 minutes. In the beginning there were many messages for lock situations and later we couldn't even login into SAP.

Checking on STAD, we found that a user executed transaction VT02N (which generally locks many objects), but the program appeared to be SAPMS380 (this is the program for calling ABAP  runtime).

After 15 minutes I see that the same user has runtime error.

Might it be the issue that all these enqueues stayed for so long, because it was trying to call the ABAP runtime error screen, or it is not connected? How can we protect system from similar issues?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

1. Could you check the transaction ST12 trace. where its getting taking long time in ABAP or DB?

kindly refer the SCN link how to use

2. Could you share your SAP Version details?

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

ST12 needs to be activated to start recording. How could I view the trace related to the issue?

SAP ECC 6.0

ORACLE 11.2.0.2.0

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for your info

Before start executing the transaction code VT02N, in another SAP session you have to active the ST12 trace, user /task, select the all server and then active the trace.

In then next session execute the transaction VT02N, once transaction action is completed deactivate the trace. check the ABAP & DB usage

BR

SS

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1st check all possible reason for this unavailability for 15 mins.

Have a look at your database logs, check sm21 and st03 for other information.

Check with user what was he doing(object locking with above transaction is common).

What does the dump says ?

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

The dump is the usual one for runtime error, because 600 seconds have been exceeded. This part of code is mentioned for the runtime, which is normal, because VBPA table is very big.

The problem is that while executing VT02N transaction, the program causing (or keeping) object locks was SAPMS380, which is the one for showing the dump details and has nothing to do with VT02N.

>>>>>   SELECT * FROM VBPA

506              INTO TABLE C_VBPA

507              FOR ALL ENTRIES IN I_DELIV

508              WHERE VBELN = I_DELIV-VBELN