cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sapdata recommendation for AIX/Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We would like to know what is the best practice to have 4 sapdata or 10 sapdata for Oracle filesystem and distribution of data files.

We have a ECC of 18TB and BW of 25 TB on AIX 6.1 and Oracle 11.2.0.3. I am looking for long term recommendation for filesystem layout of sapdata.

Having 10 or more sapdata for a 10 TB size database would allow parallel read from the 10 different sapdata filesystem.

does anybody have any recommendation for the same.

Thanks,

Dnyandev Kondekar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi  Dnyadev,

Number of sapdata files depends on the ease of manageability.

Standard recommendation goes with 4 sapdata files.

To address the performance objective, you can have multiple disks configured in RAID and stripping created across the disks. You need to ensure that number of I/Os are good while designing the layout. You may speak with your hardware partner on how to achieve this.

Sample example for ECC

DB size = 18 TB

I shall go with 6 sapdata files each of 3 TB each.

Disks type used in the storage will be of 450GB / 600GB and shall have RAID 5 to have good read/write operations.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with Deepak, although I would prefer RAID 10. Normally, using more sapdatas also speeds up offline backups as many backup tools start a stream for each mount point.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Daniel and Deepak.

We have a RAID 10 storage. I would also like to know any recommendation for storage layout around VG,LV,disk pool when using IBM DS8K storage subsystems and critical I/O parameters for AIX. if anybody has a good PDF/Word document  for AIX storage best practice with IBM DS8K storage subsystems that would be helpful.