cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode Printing without UPE

Former Member
0 Kudos

I promise to give credit to anyone who can help me here. I've read more than 25 threads, wikis, etc. on this and can't find the solution.

In this case, I'm trying to print Vietnamese characters to a printer. I've printed a sample directly to the printer from a UTF-8 Notepad with Consolas font, so if the printer can do that, then I'm certain it has the necessary fonts installed. This particular printer is an HP LaserJet 5000 model.

I have made a copy of our SAPScript form to a test copy with multiple lines of the same text, but with different Character Formats using the following fonts: A_SIMP, TWSONG, COURIER, TIMES, HELVE, and ZARIAL. Only the first three display the correct text in the Print Preview, but none of them actually print correctly.

I'm using the Device Type recommended by the wizard (in 7.31 Level 3, Kernel 720) which is HPUTF8 (i.e. "HP LaserJet UTF-8  1.1"). This Device Type uses Character Sets 4110 ("Unicode UTF-8") and 4210 ("UTF-8 for PCL Printers").

No matter what I do, I can't get the characters to print correctly. I've tried at least 30 or 40 variations. Please help!

Currently, my two best theories are:

1. Missing Print Controls for the Device Type
  2. System Font to Printer Font conversions failing

Again, I will most certainly give all the cred I am able to all who can help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Mattew,

Pls refer to the note 1993539 and check if you had installed the Andale font module in your printer side.

Best Regards

Jie Bai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jie Bai,

Thank you this was very helpful. I ended up going with the solution using SAPSprint with the SWINCF Device Type from Note 894444, but this had the unfortunate side affect of breaking my Barcode printing which is a deal breaker.

Can you think of a resolution for this particular issue? The best I can figure is that I need to somehow copy the relevant SBP** and SBS** Print Controls (as suggested from Sravan in this thread) from the functional HPLJ4 Device Type into a new ZSWINCF type which is an amalgam of the two.

Is there a better solution to this issue?

Thank you kindly,

Matthew

jie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello matthew,

How about try with the new barcode technology which is described in the note 645158?
Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Jie Bai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jie Bai,

Yeah, that was it. I thought I was using them; it took me awhile to figure out that I wasn't. Now I've got my Bar Codes printing nicely with Vietnamese on the same SAPScript form. Perfect!!

The two notes you referenced were precisely what I needed. I didn't have to search any further. Thank you so much.

Matthew

jie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Matthew,

Glad to hear that the problem was resolved.

Also thanks for your points.

Best Regards

Jie Bai

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Matthew,

Pls also use the Andale font in your sapscript.

Best Regards

Jie Bai