cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do our STOs select from Restricted stock when we have sufficient stock in the same batch in Unrestricted Use?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our batch level is at the material level and we have batch status management turned on. The Batch Status is Restricted. When we need to ship or consume, we use movement 342 to move the quantity we need to unrestricted use stock status. All the documentation and our training says that this will keep restricted material from being shipped, or otherwise issued. However when we do an STO, the quantity is pulled from Restricted stock and not Unrestricted stock.

Has anyone else seen this. I've checked all the configuration I could find and looked for user exits we may have messed up.

Thanks, Joe Goforth

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is standard functionality for STO's.  The selection must be happennning due to your sort strategies or something.

An STO is an interplant shipent usually.  Shipping between plants is expected as distribution centers, or sister plants often have the need to return material to the original plant for any number of reasons.  Usually it is to dispose of, or to rework the material.  Such as expired material, customer returned material, damaged material, etc..

If you couldn't ship it on an STO, you wouldn't be able to move the material.

You should not however be able to sell the material via Sales Order delivery.  That should be blocked.

What you can do is incorporate the LOBM_ZUSTD standard characteristic into your sorting rule for batch determination.  Then you can have your restricted batches at the bottom of the list and your released batches should always be selected first.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Craig,

It turns out that a DTB support person also found that SAP sales order is also picking from restricted stock. I'll play with the LOBM_ZUSTD to see if it helps.

Thanks again Craig this does give me something to work with,

Joe G.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If restricted stock is available for Sales order, it is because someone changed the standard delivered SAP config.  I believe this is done in MRP or maybe in SD document types.  I'd have to go do some digging but there is a place were you define what stock categories are available to pull from.  I can't remember exactly if it is all driven via MRP, but I think there is another area in config for document types as well so certain document types an be limited.

Craig

former_member221025
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Joe,

Add LOBM_ZUSTD to search class you have created, after that

If you go to Selection criteria In VCH1, Condition records; Same Search class has to be there, you have to maintain Batch Status (LOBM_ZUSTD) as "BLANK". If you select "X" then batch determination will look only for restricted batches.

In case of "BLANK", Batch determination will search for Unrestricted Batches Only.

Amol.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah.. I knew that!!!    Better to exclude them than just to sort them altogether.  With some the various strategies, it could still apply the quantity to a batch at the bottom of the list.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Amol and Craig,

We have found that we don't have the LOBM_ZUSTD Batch Status field. If memory serves, this is in the 0001 client and can be copied into our clients for use. I only remember doing a group of them about 10 years ago to get the LOBM_VSDAT or something like that for Shelf Life (I think). I suppose we can still copy this from 0001 or am I totally off base on this one.

former_member221025
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

Client is 000. To copy Characteristics from client 000 to your logon client you need to run Report RMMCCH01 in SE38.

All standard Characteristics will get copied in logon client.

Amol.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is also a line item in the batch management configuration for this activity as well.  Same thing basically.

Craig

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok Joe.. you have now confused me.    Not hard to do on some days!

I THINK you have batch status active.  If so I don't know how you move stock from restricted to unrestricted as this is technically a status not an actual inventory bucket.  I.e. since you use a generic batch number, once that batch is restricted, the entire batch is restricted.  I don't know how you unrestrict a portion of it.

Can you verify you have batch status active in configuration?  It should be in the same config shown above under "Batch Status Mangement" and then, only if you are batches at plant level, you also need to check in "Plants with Batch status management".

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, our batch level is at the material level and we have batch status management turned on. The Batch Status is Restricted.

We "Un-restrict' quantities of the material by using T-code MB1B Using movement type 342. Then the quantity transferred is shown in Unrestricted stock with the remainder in Restricted batch status.

Thanks for checking back with me. J.G.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok.. then you have done something special with you system.  I am not allowed to used 342 in T-Code MB1B.  That's what had me confused.  When you restricted a batch, (i.e. in MSC2n), the entire batch is restricted.  You don't have the ability to restrict only a portion of it.

Did someone add transaction MB1B to the transaction list in config?  That would not be standard SAP.  But I did test this and added MB1B to the 342 movement type and it worked!

This COULD be the issue you are having.  I don't know how the SAP coding is done, but this could be a conflict in coding due to the confliciting status of the batch.

Since batch status is simply an indicator, how the programmers use that in different areas could impact this.  So normally you can't pull from restricted, but you have qty both in unrestricted and restricted which normally should not happen.  It is totally possible that in one circumstance the code shows the unrestricted qty and proposes it in the document, but when the document is posted, restricted status flag/indicator is seen first and the stock is taken from restricted stock.

When I changed config to allow MB1B for 342 I got an error that basically says I shouldn't do that.  When I removed it, I got the same thing. So while yes... you can allow 342 for MB1B it is not what SAP planned.  Therefore, it would not surprise me if you see inconsitencies in the system as you apparently are.

I know this "status" vs. inventory category can be confusing and I hope I explained it right and it came across right.  Basically though, 342 should not be allowed in MB1B and I thnk if  you told SAP that is what you are doing, they would say that is not supported.

Craig

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Kindly check that "initial status  of a new batch"has been activated at material type level or not.Because if you have activated this field then whenever you do MIGO with that material type codes then batch stock will goes to restricted.

FYI,see the below snap shots.

Br's,

KNR

Former Member
0 Kudos

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

May I know how you are deciding that system is considering restricted stock instead of unrestricted stock?

Kindly check in OVZ9 t.code the field"Incl.restricted-use stock"checked or not.If you have checked this field then while carrying ATP,system will consider that stock also.

BR's,

KNR