Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Has web application become too successful for SQL Anywhere?

One of our websites (which until recently was using SQL Anywhere 10 for storage) is now used by 10s of people at a time and the database has grown to 48 MB; I recently moved the data to SQL Anywhere 16 because we were beginning to get "Timed out trying to establish connection" errors and I hoped that might help. Doubters amongst us think that we have to move the data to SQL Server .. that SQL Anywhere 16 is not robust enough to do the job. Horrors.. what say you? I'd appreciate the perspective of those "in the know"

(We also upgraded Windows Server for the database VM from 2003 to 2012)

Tags:
Former Member
replied

SQL Anywhere has customers running with 1000's of users and 100's of gigabytes of data, so it  should be able to easily handle the load you are describing, unless you have some sort of bottleneck in the database schema design that is causing an issue.

I would recommend you spend some time understanding the root cause of the timeout problem, as it it is likely resolvable.  For example, are you using database connection pooling on the web server?  If not, you should be.

If you would like further feedback on where the problem may lie, post some more detail on the environment, how connections are made and what kinds of operations are going on

--Jason Hinsperger

Product Manager

SQL Anywhere

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question