cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for java package versioning in NWDS?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to be able to annotate java-based components (eg: ME activities) that we develop in-house with a version number.  My requirements are:

1. There must be a way for the developer to update the version of the individual component in the source system.  And it would be nice if the build or DTR would assist with this, so that the developer does not have to remember to do it.  A simple example:  I make a bug fix to an ME activity (eg: a POD plug-in).  It was a version "2.1.0".  I kick it up to "2.1.1".  Or the build just adds a sequentially-generated build number.
  2. I want the version to be visible at run time, somehow.  I could have a coding standard that specifies that we always make the version string visible somewhere on the GUI.  But it would be preferable if this were more automated.
  3. Ideally, I would be able to run a listing of all installed component versions.  This could be a function in NWA.  If we have this, then #2 is less important.
  4. If the same mechanism could be extended to support other meta-data, such as our 'ECR' number, that would be handy, also.

Is there a way to use the Java standard for package versioning?

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/versioning/spec/versioning2.html#wp89936

One of the issues that is leading to this need:  We are having trouble with deployment of code into our Development system from NWDI (CBS/CMS).  It has been somewhat 'unreliable' in our implementation.  So it is hard to tell, when looking at the runtime ME UI, whether a deployment was actually successful.  We can see in the CBS web UI that the activation and build were successful.  But the updated code fails to make it onto our Development instance.  This failure is intermittent.

I apologize in advance if this question has been answered before.  Try a search in SCN for the word "version"....  It's a very generic term that appears everywhere.

Thanks,

Barry

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member329581
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Barry,

maybe not fully the thing you looking for ...

If you search in the NWA for 'components info' you get a list of all installed components with the installed version.

regards

Kay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Kay.  I am relatively new to SAP ME and to SAP in general.  Medtronic's security practice is to give developers very little access to NWA outside of our 'sandbox' instance. Medtronic may be a little unusual in this respect -- I don't know.  I will ask one our BASIS folks what is possible.

Thanks, Barry