cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BR0312-Database instance shutdown during online backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am using Oracle 11g with SAP NW 7.31 and last few days, I have a strange problem during backup via DB13. The backup ends with "BR0312 - database instance shutdown during online backup". I have checked in alert log file, but there is no information regarding this issue and the database actually was available during the error reported time.

I found OSS note "2031239 - BR0312E database instance <DBSID> shutdown during online backup", but it is not relevant in this case. Apart from this, to be sure, I have checked for any data file is "ACTIVE" by using SQL command "select * from v$backup". Sometime, the backup gets completed upto some percentage (for example 25%), then it fails with the same error message. It happens only with online backup, rest all DBA jobs are working fine.

While the database is up and running, I don't understand what lets BRtools confused with instance shutdown.

Screenshot of error log.

Could anyone please suggest how to trace for the root cause as I tried but unable to locate it exactly.

Thanks in advance for your valuable reply.

Regards,

Ganesan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for everyone.  As I mentioned, there was no information in alert log regarding backup execution and failure of any oracle processes. And service VSS is disabled so I mentioned that the note was not relevant to my case. Its really very strange.

Finally, I restarted SAP and Database and it worked for me. Now the backup is running fine.

Regards,

Ganesan

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Great !!

Please close the thread.

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per the Note: 2031239

Volume Shadow Copy service should be disabled.

Make sure that it is disabled or not started while the Backup is running.

regards,

pavan

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

What is the status of VSS (Volume shadow copy service) under services.msc .As per note you mentioned these should be disabled.

Additionally share Event logs from the OS level as well.

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to check your Oracle ALert Log, post the contents here.

Also check if you have anything else scheduled.

former_member235680
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi Ganesan,

Could you please share the logs in more details, there must be some reason logged for error?

Thanks
Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ganesan,

What is the OS you are using?

regards,

pavan