cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Career Advise

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am posting here because I thought of taking SAP as my career. I want your advise please.

My profile, BE-E&C, 2011 passout, experience of almost 3 years now but from different domains

1 Year in Production Support (Linux)

1.5 years in Java Development

6 Months in PHP, TCL ( I am currently working on)

I want to take up the certification for following reasons

1. Better Salary

2. Better position

3. Onsite opportunity

Down the line I aspire to get in to management role. I have not been able to find fun in the work, In Support work I felt shifts are hectic(rotational) in Java development I did not have basics strong and hence struggled, later I changed the company and I was promised to work on Java, but later being put in to PHP and TCL. and my salary is relatively less compared to my peers

My strengths, I have good written and oral communication, I have very good presentation skills and can convey my views very easily be it    any one.

I am good at getting work done and can convince people.

I now want to take up SAP ABAP, apparently I am very new to SAP and have zero knowledge. Please help me choosing module, or am I advisable to take up SAP, how is the trend currently, do we have market for freshers, I am really worried in order to come to a conclusion.

Please help

I am requesting all to reply me and help me out. I also request  Ravi Sankar Venna  to please guide me.

Everybody's thoughts are welcome.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Phani,

Your reason for doing certification should be to:

a. Gain Knowledge

b. Getting a chance to work on challenging projects

c. consistently challenge your technical abilities and prove your abilities

instead of the following.

1. Better Salary

2. Better position

3. Onsite opportunity

if you are committed for a. b. c then 1. 2. 3 would follow you automatically.

ABAP is good to start with, but there are number of consultants in the market looking for jobs. Moreover, the ABAP work is getting lesser and lesser day by day.

Future of SAP market is analytic and strategic products. Therefore, concentrate on SAP BI / BOBJ / HANA. Hope this would help you.

Every experience consultant now, was a fresher once up a time. Therefore, no need to worry about the freshers. If you are committed, then I am sure, market would always welcome you.

All the best.

Kind Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your valuable inputs, are there any prerequisites for doing SAP BI / BOBJ / HANA, I am trying to google it. If possible please help me, and ATOS is promising me a confirmed offer on ABAP upon clearing the certification so what are your thoughts on it.

How difficult is it to clear the certification, how to gauge myself for clearing the certification. Please advise me.

Thanks in Advance.

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Phani,

For BI / BOBJ, you should have good understanding database fundamentals and good technical aptitude.

What if they failed to meet their commitment once you passed the certification. Moreover, you should not select a course, based on what others promised. You should go and select the course on your interest. For every module, there is always a market. Know your interest and then join the course. If you really like ABAP, then go for it. Please do not choose the course, as somebody suggested you to do it.

It is not difficult, provided if your fundamentals are crystal clear.

Best Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for reply, now with detailed discussions with the center Councillor, they are suggesting me now SAP CRM. I am interested in getting in to techno functional role. I have to take loan and pay the fee. I ask few people in SAP they say CRM is over flooded right now, it is not advisable to start career. Ravi please suggest me as I am in dilemma. which to choose, because I am putting my entire career on this. I am also little scared actually.

I am not very good in programming, I am a average performer. please help me in choosing a module

Is CRM a good choice??

former_member182098
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Phani,

I will tell you BI/BOBJ, your center tells you CRM, Your neighbour tells you ABAP, your friend tells you FICO, you heart tells you HANA and the market conditions tells you something else. But, the fact is when you go to a restaurant, you are the person to select what you need to eat. Similarly, this is also the same. Forget about what others are saying. Do some home work on each module and see where your interest lies. Tomorrow if there is no demand for CRM in the market, then what would you do? Would you jump to another module? Then, no module would be able to help you.

Now a days, I am looking number questions similar to "Please let me know which is the correct module for me?". Before selecting a module, they should choose, their education, experience, domain knowledge, interest and marketing conditions. You should never listen to people in taking this critical decision, as you may end up with varied opinions.

Hope this helps you.

Kind Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi

Thanks a lot for your valuable blogs and insights which really inspires professionals like us to shape our career in SAP.

Currently I have a 7.5 years of Business Development and Consulting Experience in Retail, Sales, Merchandising  and Distribution functions, Online marketing and Vendor management.

Now I am pursuing training in SAP SD functional module and want to shape my career as a Functional consultant.

What are my scopes, and how relevant is my Industry experience..

Kindly advise. and guide me...

Regards

Sayan Datta

sayan datta | LinkedIn