cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budget Release Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello X'prts,

When I try to release the budget I get the appending error, kindly guide me as to what am I doing wrong here.

Since I am new to PS I would request you kindly also elaborate the proper steps of Budgeting process. I reckon that one needs to goto IM52 to allocate budget, then goto Cj32 to release.

What is the role of Availability control here?

Also I request you to explain the relationship of System/User statuses at Prj/WBS/Network/Activity levels.

rgds

Mazal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

varshal_kachole3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do you have the Project Hierarchy? What level .1, .2, .3 WBS Elements in screen print represents?

Did you assign the top Level WBS Element to the IM Program position?

Please let us know more details to answer your query.

Thanks and Regards,

Varshal Kachole

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varshal,

Yes I did assign IM to the top level WBS.

The I went to IM52 and assigned budget

The to CJ32 and trying to release the budget and get the above error.

PLz guide.

rgds

varshal_kachole3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry but you did not mention the levels of the WBS  in the screen print.

So I assume .1, .2, .3 are not the Root level WBS elements.

IM52 assigns the Budget only to the Root level. (already Completed)

To assign the budget to the lower level, please assign using CJ30 first and then move ahead with CJ32.

Hope it helps!

Thanks and Regards,

Varshal Kachole

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Mazal,

As mentioned earlier you need to distribute the Budget from Top Level to below levels using CJ30 and thereafter you can use CJ32.. Currently you don't  have anything in CJ30, hence not able to Release..

Regards

Sammar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varshal/Sammar,

--> The hierarchy stands as

PRJ XXX

WBS XXX

SUB WBS XXX.1

SUB WBS XXX.2

SUB WBS XXX.3

The IM has been assigned to WBS XXX.

I did as you stated, CJ30-->CJ32 and no error prompts now, I reckon the budget is released now.

The only concern now is why am I not able to see the reflection of the same when I run report S_ALR_87013558. output comes out empty. Why dont I see any details yet?

rgds

Mazal

varshal_kachole3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What do you mean by "Output comes out empty"?

Please send the screen print.

Please check CJI8 transaction as well.

Thanks and Regards,

Varshal Kachole

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varshal,

I am referring to the Budget/Actual columns, why don't they show any values??

Rest I reckon your guidance has worked to get me started here. Please suggest further.

rgds

Mazal

varshal_kachole3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I believe you have only allocated the budget at the Overall Level and not at the Annual Level.

Within the report please hit CTRL+SHIFT+F6 to reach the last column.

Hope it helps!

Thanks and Regards,

Varshal Kachole

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varshal,

This did help, it shows me overall budget/commit/assigned/available...really thanx for that... Why is Actual column blank?

Also correct me if I understand that since budget is assigned to the project, I can go about Releasing the project manually in CJ20N which will result in auto PR/Reservations getting generated, simultaneously reflecting in budget reports.

Is this all there is to budgeting!! If not please suggest what Do's/Dont's should I keep in check.

rgds

Imran

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Mazal,

The actual column will display values once you have done actual postings to the WBS, which can be through GR, Network Activity Confirmations, Timesheets, Direct FI postings etc..

Coming to your Budgeting Process.. that's all there is for budgeting.  You can release your project for further processing...

Regards

Sammar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sammar/Varshal,

I thank you for pointing me in the right direction with regards to budgeting.

If I am not causing you more trouble, I have another( of many queries to come) that requires your guidance.

Pertaining to Statuses --> A project has 4 levels of statuses

1.Project

2.WBS

3.Network

4.Activity

1. What is the difference between statuses at each level?

2.Are they inter-related, if yes, how?

3.I see that statuses CRTD-->REL-->TECO-->CLSD are present at levels, If I have to operate a scheme, which level of statuses should I operate.

rgds

Mazal

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Mazal,

No problems.. we all are here to help each other to the best of our Knowledge.. So Keep your Questions Coming!!!!

The Project Definition, WBS , Network, Activities are not statuses in a Project.. but these are called Objects in Projects..

As correctly deciphered by you..the CRTD-REL-TECO-CLSD are the System Statuses which are available at each level within the hierarchy of the project.. These statuses works top down..

So if I release Project Definition it will release all the sub elements beneath it..

You should be careful in Releasing a Project.. as it means the Project is now good to accept costs.. And once you change the status from CRTD to REL you cannot revert it  back...

Please search SCN on basic PS Guide. you will get good information @ Role of Statuses in SAP PS...

Hope it gives you a good idea..

Regards

Sammar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sammar,

That part I get where statuses work top-down(PRJ->WBS->NWK->ACT). However my confusion lies when it comes to which object statuses are set and at what time?

What factors decide which object statuses are to be set when?

By your statement above I get that PRJ statuses have a direct impact on the whole scheme. With reference to the screenshot attached above you can see the hierarchy of the scheme. So kindly elaborate as to how independently do these object statuses work, when they work.

rgds

Mazal

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Mazal,

The first status is CRTD is active once we create any object be it Project Def-WBS- Network-Activity. It is a no brainer.. straight forward. This status allows you to plan for your project..it can be timelines, resources, costs, budget..

the second status is REL it is very significant status as it denotes that the project is ready to GO!!.. Once you release a WBS, or Network Activity, It signifies that the work for that work package can be started and you can book cost to the Object.. At this stage you can do revisit your planning which you did at the initial level and compare it with the actuals..

The third one is TECO. Once you set this status it doesn't allow any more changes to your planning data.. Which means from a business point of view that all planning for that work package is over and the work is technically completed. You are only awaiting for some late fees or collections to be posted to the object in your project.

The last stage is CLSD.. I think this is quiet self explanatory..

Hope it helps,,

Sammar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sammar,

G'mng, What I need to understand is that given all 4 objects have these statuses except PRJ DEF which contains Status with Status Number and Status w/o Status Number while rest only contain Status w/o Status Number , will I have to change statuses of WBS/NWK/ACT simultaneously since in our specific scenario each sub-wbs is taken as a project in itself.??

As you said that PRJ Statuses have a direct impact on the whole scheme, what is the impact if I change statuses at ACT level or NWK lvl etc.

How are WBS/NWK/ACT statuses linked??

rgds

Mazal

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Mazal,

The below link will give you all the answers..

System Statuses in Work Breakdown Structures - Structures - SAP Library

Regards

Samar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sammar,

Thanx for the article, I did read this dox earlier however it's making more sense now.

This is probably my last question before closing this thread, correct me if I understand that statuses are changed/set only at PRJ and WBS level and the same automatically reflects at NWK/ACT level statuses? Do NWK/ACT statuses work independently??

rgds

Mazal

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Yes they can.. It depends on your scenario.. Let's assume a simple case..

You are into construction and you have create a Project which has WBS as CIVIL WORKS, ELECTRICLA, HVAC, etc.. and within these WBS you have activities which make up to the CIVIL Work etc.. ( lets say Digging, Plinth , Cleaning etc)

Now if you don't want to Release all the work under CIVIL Works you can release individual activities within this WBS..  The best practice is to Release the lowest set of activities in the structure first and then move up.. Unless you are pretty sure that the whole thing can be release in one go..

Hope its clear now..

Sammar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanx Sammar/Varshal for all ur assistance. I seek ur guidance further for other issues that I may encounter.

Points allocated .

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Assign the total budget to Project Definition & then try to release .

Whenever you are Budgeting you need to assign all W.B.S.Elements budget to Project Definition

Regards

Ambarish

sammar81
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Mazal,

You need to first Distribute the Budget which you have assigned to various IM Linked WBS in IM52 using CJ30 and then release the Budget using CJ32. this will resolve your error.

As far as Budgeting process is concerned you can go through this simple thread in SCN. This thread talks about Budgeting using SAP PS only, Which Involves Usage of CJ30 and CJ32 t-codes

For Budgeting using IM and PS you can follow this thread..

Investment Management (IM) - SAP Library

As mentioned by Amit, answering all of your questions in this one thread is bit difficult.. So far system and user statuses Please read through the various thread in SCN..

On a high level, System Statuses are System Generate which Forbids certain business transaction. As an example in CRTD status You cannot post actual cost to the WBS or Network Activity though it allows planning.

User Statuses are used to control business processes which are generally allowed in System Statuses..

AS an example I can create a PR for a WBS which doesn't have any budget in it.. I can restrict that using User statuses..

Hope it helps you..

Regards

Sammar

former_member210872
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Mazal,

It looks you have assigned some commitments under project before creating & releasing budget & now you are going to create and release budget.

The Error comes because, commitment values are greater than budget release.

Go in CJ32 by entering project def. share the screen shot. Don't share error screen over.

With regards,

Dnyanesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please search the forum. I am sure you will get the help.

There are many things that you are asking budgeting process, system, user status etc and it is not possible to explain these things in detail here.

However, as far as your error is concerned. Follow the simple logic.

1. We do the budgeting on WBS.

2. We release the budget based on the budgeted amount. (It would be better if you just copy view the budgeted amount, so in that case release amount will be equal to budget amount)

Availability control (AVAC) is something which gets activated as when you budget your WBS elements. You can refer the same on system status.

But you need to search forum on these topics. Google it too. It is very tough for any expert to guide or explain you the full process here.

Regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I did exactly the same thing, however still get the same error!

Please suggest

rgds

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I did exactly the same thing, however still get the same error!

Please suggest

rgds