cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What dependencies does CRforVS_mergemodules_13_0_10 currently have?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Like many people I am trying to use the CRforVS_mergemodules_13_0_10.zip merge modules in InstallShield LE.

I have spent the past two days reading article after article with still not gaining a full understanding of how to accomplish the task at hand which is creating a single .MSI which will install the Crystal Reports Runtime.

I have read in an official document from CR called CR Deployment using .Net Merge Modules.doc. This document states that the two prerequisites are Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm and policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm.

Are these still the two dependencies for the newest version as well?

Do these need to be used or would a newer version of the VC++ runtime work as well?

I have added these are redistributables to my project along the Crystal merge modules.

From what I understand this is because the C++ run-times are not installed before Crystals merge modules.

Before investigating the merge module order, I wanted to verfiy the correct I had the correct dependencies.

My whole goal is to install the runtime from within my .MSI created with InstallShield LE in a seemless manner so as the user does not need to run an additional installation for the crystal reports runtime.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

Merge modules have no dependencies, that's the nature of them. CR however will need to VS 2005 C++ Security Merge Module.

And yes, it should be installed before the Cr MSM is. The MSI has all of the required dependencies.

Other one is going to be the Framework, depending on what you compiled your app for.

Try searching, you'll find lots of info on this subject.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

Two questions then...

First since we were on the topic of the merge modules, the ones that I used in my installer were Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm and policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm.

Are these the correct modules?

I was told by someone on the InstallShield forum there is no way to control which merge modules get installed first. If this isn't always the case then I need to be looking at a different installer package.

I also as you can see below tried to use the redistribution .exe for VC++ 2005 as a prerequisite but the CR merge modules still would not register.

Secondly, since you proposed your runtime .MSI, which would make life much easier at this point.

Is there any way to run it in silent mode so I can put it into my package and the user will not have to find and install themselves?

By the way the application is compiled for .Net 4.0

Thanks Jak

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried experimenting with the following vc++ redistributable package.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387

It installed fine from within my setup program and then my .MSI with the CR merge modules kicked in and still I get the same error.

0 Kudos

Try elevating the permissions, right click and Run as Administrator. Could be your installer needs more permissions to access the various install and registry paths.

Try adding install logging to your setup.exe also, it should tell you what it's looking for and why.

Also, search on 1904 error. Could even be the version of MSIExec.exe, it needs version 2.8 to be installed.

If you run the CR MSI -

http://downloads.businessobjects.com/akdlm/cr4vs2010/CRforVS_redist_install_32bit_13_0_10.zip

do you get the same error?

If you do then your PC is out of date somewhere.

Framework all up to date?

No idea which MSM that C++ package requires, I just install it first if required. MSDN Forums should be able to answer that.

Why not use Visual Studio's install packager?

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

Thanks for you help throughout this. I reviewed what you mentioned about the security update and found that I was using the original C++ redistribution package. The correct redistributable is...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26347

After adding this as a prerequisite to the InstallShied project and using the merge modules you have available I was able to do a clean crystal install.

As for your question above about why not use VS's installer package, well I am on VS 2012 and vdproj are no longer supported, there recommended solution is to use InstallShield LE with VS.

Jak

0 Kudos

Hi Jak,

Thanks for the update and info but curious, Microsoft said they no longer support building a redist package in VS 2012?

Do you have a link, that sounds very strange....

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

This is where I found out about it, visual studio has an InstallShield LE project type under the same location that the old Setup projects used to be.

Windows Installer Deployment

This is the link that VS pushes you to...

InstallShield Limited Edition for Visual Studio - Registration

Former Member
0 Kudos

How did you add the C++ redistribution package as prerequisite ?  could you provide the steps?  I'm working on trying to update an installshield project to include the crystal merge module and this is all so confusing.

0 Kudos

Interesting.... Thanks all

Have you posted or looked on InstallShields site? There have been updates, and issues reported when using CR runtime. May be a good place to ask also...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will look into that, the latest MSM file was a zip of what looked like multiple language support, if I need to just support English then are the following merge module files all I need?  I think I was missing the main file which was the root of my problem.

CRRuntime_13_0_15.msm

CRRuntime_13_0_15_es.msm