Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message server port of ECC system

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I was trying to create a Technical system for ECC system in SLD. I reached the Central Servers tab. I have to add the Message server port here. It should be ideally 36xx followed by the instance number.

I checked in T SMMS, and saw that the parameter is incorrectly added there. It's 36xy, the instance number plus one.

Will this effect the message flow in future. I am not a BASIS consltant and I want to know whether I need to correct it in ECC or add it as it is ECC in the SLD while configuring Technical system

Regards

Harish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish..I feel like you have distributed instance..anyways another way to verify is by checking the profiles, certainly ASCS instance profile won't be shown on RZ10 so follow the below steps..

Goto AL11(Directory Tcode)>>>>search for DIR_PROFILE>>>>double click and enter>>>>there will be many files>>>>>>search for a file which will have entry of "ms" (linux) or "messageserver"(windows)..so that profile should be your message servers profile..now the port will be maintained there for sure... or if you find the file then the FileName should have the port number.

hope helps you determining

However there is no hard n fast rule of message server port to be -1 than instance..in distributed system it can be assigned to any instances or dedicated..anyways you should not be worrying about the message server so much. However once determined you can use the msgsvr to do load balance and get data in SLD  - good way to do - recco..

But you can still get data by just putting the gateway of the apps you are asking..

like Hostname: bla.com

gateway: sapgw35

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

It doesn't have to be a distributed setup. Previously ASCS was installed for cluster installations.

I have seen distributed setups without ASCS.

ASCS is now part of all installations whether it is distributed, cluster or standard installation.

However there is no hard n fast rule of message server port to be -1 than instance..in distributed system it can be assigned to any instances or dedicated.

The ASCS will run separately and has its own instance number. The message server is part of that and port number is calculated based on the ASCS system number.

Regards

RB

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tathagata,

It didn't work that way.

I see DIR_PROFILE on the left and usr/sap/SID/SYS/Profile

I checked the files and I didn't see any "ms" or "messageserver" file

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Sorry should have gave more info. If you open the DEFAULT.PFL in AL11(DIR_PROFILE) there will be an entry of

rdisp/mshost = ascsSID

rdisp/msserv = sapmsSID

rdisp/msserv_internal = 3921(number)

These entries will tell you in DEFAULT.PFL as which is your message server host. For the port you can check the parameter above (rdisp/msserv_internal) which says of 3921 (internal port for the apps communication).. so in most cases the primary message server port will be 3621.

So.. in short..if you see in DEFAULT.PFL - 39XX then you can determine your port as 36XX.

Message server port always will start with 36 and XX is the instance number it's configured.

------------

Alternately what I said previously was also another way.

DIR_PROFILE >> Check for the file with the below parameters maybe .

#

# SAP Message Server parameters are set in the DEFAULT.PFL

#

ms/standalone

ms/server_port_0

Once you found these in a file check the file name - should be like SID_ASCSXX_hostname...this XX will be your Instance number and message server will be

36XX

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tathagata,

Your explanation helped me to get the port number. It's 3636

My instance number is 35 and ideally it should be 3635 but this is how it is.

I close the thread

Once again, thanks everyone for the help

Regards

Harish

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

To plug the ERP system into the SLD you need to call Tx RZ70 and enter the SLD system hostname and gateway service there.

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for your patience

I am using SAP Logon screen to connect to the ECC system. I am entering the PO url in browser and then I go to the SLD tab.

I think it is not possible to go to the path you specified through ABAP stack. I am accessing the R3 system through the SAP logon pad on the laptop. I can only enter Transaction codes there

Regards

Harish

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In that case you can try with MS port seen in the system in the "Central Services tab" and see if that works and if not change it there.

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

When I navigate through the SLD steps, I saw a pop up that said, "the message server port should be 36 plus system instance number. My instance number is 35 So it should be IDEALLY 3635.

I checked the ms port in SMMS, and there it is 3636, so there is a conflict.

That's why I created the thread. I am a PI developer. I was worried whether messages fail because of this port mismatch.

Regards

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

My instance number is 35 So it should be IDEALLY 3635.

I checked the ms port in SMMS, and there it is 3636, so there is a conflict.

You are correct with the port number should be in that format but if there is separate Central Services then it will have a different system number and message server will be part of that.

This is the reason why I asked whether the message server is part of the Central Services which is separate.

That is the only reason what I can think of right now why the MS post is different.

If you think the messages will fail then isn't it possible to modify the post entry have entered before ?

Regards

RB

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Does this system have separate central services ?

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

How do I check that?

Regards

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If you have separate ABAP central services then message server will be running under that.

The ABAP central services will be having a different system number.

You can check it from the OS level /usr/sap/SID identified as ASCS<NN> directory

Regards

RB

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

I didn't understand that path. Do I have to enter it in browser? How do I access this path?

Regards

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Harish

/usr/sap/SID is file system (Unix) or a directory <Drive>:\usr\sap\SID (Windows) at the OS level in the server where the SAP is installed and the directory ASCS<NN> lies there.

Regards

RB

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan

Is it possible for me to access from my laptop. I am suing VPN to connect as of now.

Regards

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Harish

I am not sure how you are plugging the system into SLD. The standard way is what I have suggested you using the Tx RZ70

I reached the Central Servers tab

Are you using some wizard from the Solution Manager system (which I believe is the SLD) ?

You will be able to connect to the server where SAP is running if you enter valid OS credentials.

Regards

RB

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You want your ECC as a technical system in SLD - right ?

Then goto RZ70 in ECC and provide information of target SLD and execute push data jobs.

No need to create it manually in SLD.

Regards,

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

hi

Even if I create it through RZ 70, one of the values could be incorrect, right? I want to check if the message server port has correct value or not. If it is incorrect, I want to correct it.

Regards

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You don't have to enter message server details.

Just provide the target SLD host and gateway info.

If you want to check the port, right place is to check instance profile.

Goto RZ10 and select the Profile and check for message server port.

Or goto SMMS - for for message server port.

Regards,

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since, you are not from BASIS, you probably don't have access to OS level.

So, use the above methods to check.

AND THE IMPORTANT POINT HERE is - please do not make ECC system manually in SLD - use RZ70 for this. Do it in a way it should be done. It can be harmful using manual assignments in SLD in future updates.

Regards,

harish_babu5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I checked in SMMS, the value entered for Message server is 3636, while my instance number is 35. So it should be 3635. I feel it's incorrect.

Will this create any problem in future?

Regards

Harish

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why should this be incorrect ?

If simply means you have an ASCS and message server is running under that instance number.

Simply in SMMS -> Goto -> Parameters -> Display and check instance number and other details.

Regards,

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The ECC system will send information to SLD, not you frontend laptop or PC

So, just goto RZ20 and provide those 2l coupe of inputs and check you SLD after some time.