Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to BW 7.4, checklist from BW perspective

former_member215240
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

We are upgrading system from BW 7.0 to 7.4. I need a document which can provide sequence of pre-upgrade and post-upgrade activities from BW perspective.

Thanks,

Santosh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

karthik_vasudevan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Santhosh

We just upgraded our system from BI 7.0 to 7.4 successfully and we have faced few issues as well which we were able to correct.

The document below lists the issues faced in BI 7.3 upgrade,  but most of them are in 7.4 as well.

http://scn.sap.com/community/data-warehousing/bw/blog/2013/07/12/sap-bw-73-upgrade-issues-and-soluti...

Pre-upgrade

There are very few activities from BI side pre-upgrade.

BI Activities starts in Checks phase. Here we need to go the Tcode /N/ASU/UPGRADE to do some checks. The tcode clearly shows what should be done and why should we do that along with a description. There are basis activities as well.

Once that's done, SPDD activity comes in Preprocessing phase, clearing delta queues before execution phase and SPAU activity in post processing phase.

Below links gives you information about whats SPDD and SPAU. Please go through once and ABAP consultant should help you in these phases

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-47617

http://scn.sap.com/thread/692448

While clearing queues make sure there is no entry for any application components in SMQ1. Then load the same into BI.

You should delete the setup tables as well before the execution phase.

Also need to check if there are orders in error status in SM13.

Post upgrade

Check source system connections

Check if deltas working fine and reconciling with ECC

If APD is existing, please check if the program is executed properly.

Portal execution will have page not be displayed error. First link has the solution for that.

Update Rules should be corrected to be compatible with BI 7.4. Loads will fail with an error. Solution is in the first link. Simple one

You should apply the note 2042469 for 2LIS_1_I3HDR load failure and some more notes for load failures.

You should configure SICF to activate the services related to metadata repository and Master Data maintenance.

You should maintain entries in RSADMIN table for return code behaviour

I have given most of what I remember. Incase if you face any issues, post it here. We can sort it

All the best!

Regards

Karthik

former_member215240
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

Thanks for the qucik replay.

Congrats on Successful upgrade go live.

Do you have detailed document for pre and post upgrade checks. Please send me if you have.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Santhosh

karthik_vasudevan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Santosh

We just did this last weekend and looking into the issues now. It will take time for me to prepare a document and update all these things.

The points that I have given is also like a document. Just copy and paste it in a word

Ofcourse, many friends are going to give you lot more points, just collate all those and prepare a document if you have more time.

Regards

Karthik

former_member182997
Contributor
0 Kudos

Congrats , it must have been a rich experience. 
Thanks for your inputs ..

Loed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

Any update of your documentation here regarding your migration experience?

Will the method be the same even if the database of BW 7.4 is HANA?

Also, what was your SP level of BW 7.0 before the upgrade?

Thank you.

Loed

karthik_vasudevan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Loed

I have covered most (90%) of the work in the below documents. But didn't have time to finish it fully

And I think there will be different approach for BW 7.4 with HANA database, but mostly this will be done by Basis Team.

For a BI consultant, I think most will be same as Oracle DB.

We were in SAP BI 7.0 SP 22 - SAPKW70022 before upgrade

Happy upgrading

Regards

Karthik

Loed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Karthik!

I will read now your blogs..

Loed

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member267487
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Can any please provide me step by step BW upgrade ....

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santhosh

There are also two relevant notes from BW perspective:

1879618 - Pre-upgrade measures for upgrade/update to 7.4

458363 - Prepare in upgrade: Inconsistent InfoObjects + InfoCubes

They are good for avoid errors with BW objects on the upgrade phases.

Jana