cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnostic agent installation

0 Kudos

Hi,

We have distributed environment in our ECC Prod system means DB, CI and  5 application server and each are running on different host.

could anyone suggest can we need to install Diagnostic agent on one Central instance or we need to install on all DB, CI and application server separately.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John (Nadar),

The link provided by Ambarish is a very good resource, as is the Note that Manik Reddy provided (

1365123 - Installation of Diagnostics Agents).  See the Agent Strategy attachment on that Note.

At the site from Ambarish is a key Note, 1833501 - Diagnostics Agent - Installer Versions.   It contains vital information and the link to http://service.sap.com/sltoolset.  There you'll find a very nice matrix containing info for the SUM and SWPM tools; be sure to scroll to the bottom for the table on resources to download.

FYI: I just recently used 70SWPM (SP6) to install SMD Agent 7.42.  It was on HP-UX IA64 64-bit and the installation incorrectly had a "-i" option on the "useradd" statement, which is not valid for HP-UX (per manpage) so I ended up having to manually create the SMD user da1adm as root at the Unix level and was then able to complete the installation via 70SWPM.  I sent a message to SAP to let them know about this.

Jim Cleek

HP Enterprise Services

SAP Basis Support 

Ambarish
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

Yes you will need to install diagnostic agent on each host seprately. However there is an option available "On the fly" in latest releases where you can have a single diagnostic agent on Logical hosts running on Physical or Virtual Host. Please refer this blog for more information about on the fly option -

Diagnostics Agent and HA Support - SAP Solution Manager Setup - SCN Wiki

Thanks,

Ambarish

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John

So the answer is in your case, on each host, you'll have to install a diagnostics agent (includes also host agent)

Br,

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Diagnostics agents usage are based on host names (logical,virtual,physical) but not on SIDs of managed components. You only need one agent per host (logical,virtual,physical) even if it contains several managed components (with same or different SIDs).