Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe Design tool has stopped working

coreoposis
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

We recently installed BI 4.1 sp 4 patch update 1.  Whenever I try to import a universe into the universe design tool the application crashes with an APPCRASH.  See attached.

I verified the client and server version are the same.  I saw the SAP note about running an old version of Crystal Reports on the same server as BI 4, but I am not running crystal report on either my BI Windows 2012 server or my 32bit virtual machine Windows 7 client.  I turned on tracing via the bo_trace.ini, but I didn't see any useful information there. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cassandra,

Do you face similar crashing issues while using other client tools on your machine?

You can try renaming the lsi file and check.

Try these steps on your machine:

1. Go to below location

C:\Users\<user id>\AppData\Roaming\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI      4.0\lsi

NOTE: <user id> is the id with which you have logged into the machine. The path might differ depending on the OS installed.

2. Once in the above location,search for lsi file like <servername_cmsportno>.lsi. The servername and cms port will match with the one you pass on while logging into BO client tools.

3.  Rename this lsi file as <servername_cmsportno>.lsi.old.

After this, log into UDT and try importing any universe. See if it crashes or works fine.

Regards,

Yuvraj

coreoposis
Explorer
0 Kudos

I tried that after I posted this.  I deleted all .lsi files and I got the same result.  I reviewed the release notes for the latest patch and I didn't where this was an issue that was resolved.  I guess I could *try* a different version to see if that resolves the problem. 

I can use the Report Conversion Tool that comes with 4.1, but on an unrelated note it just gives a non-descript error and won't convert any reports.  That's a separate issue, so I don't want to distract anyone from my main point.

But as I said before, I don't have Crystal Reports.  We have brand new Windows 2012 servers that run our BI 4.1 environment and my client is a newly created 32 bit virtual machine.  Both the client and the server are running the same versions of Business Objects.  The universe that I am trying to edit is actually the Report Conversion Tool universe that comes with BI.

coreoposis
Explorer
0 Kudos

Interesting..  I took a chance and upgraded to BI 4.1 sp4 Patch update 2 on both the server and the client. 

That solved the problem with not being able to import universes.  I still need to try the other client tools however.