cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from PI 7.1 to PO 7.4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All

When we moved from SAP XI3.0 to SAP PI 7.1 One of the methodologies was a clean export / import method.

This allowed us to create a clean migration route between systems whilst still allowing for productive support for PI Interfaces.

We are now thinking of upgrading from PI 7.4 to PI 7.4

One of the issues i'm thinking about is that once the Development landscape is migrated from 7.1 to Version 7.4 we potentially won't have productive support and be able to move interfaces across the landscape.

I'm looking for two potential answers.

1 )If you have a development system running PO 7.4, can you still migrate interfaces across the landscape from Dev-QA-Prod..... I'm assuming not.

If the answer to one is negative, has anyone any experience of the upgrade paths from 7.1 to 7.4 and is the best method an Upgrade in place. Or a clean installation of a 7.4 system and the migration of the Interfaces via an Export / Import

I'm just investigating scenarios at the moment.

Many thanks

James

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the responses. Something to consider once Fiori is out of the way.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

While migrating from PI 7.0 to PO system.

What is the path of migration?\\

PI 7.1 DEv to PO DEV for export and import using File transports

PI 7.0 prod to PO DEV for export and import using File transports

please confirm ASAP

Best Regards,

Suresh S

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just use the migration tool.

Kind regards,

Dimitri

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James

Just to add on to the ongoing discussion here. There is an official document from SAP on making the decision for the upgrade - upgrade or clean install. This is for 7.3 but the content is still applicable for 7.4 too.

Rgds

Eng Swee

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Eng Swee YeohTopaz

PI 7.0 Dev to PO DEV (ESR objects export and import)

PI 7.0 Prod to PO Prod (ESR and ID objects export and import)

Please confirm. Its urgent

martin_babayan
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi James,

It's not clear from your question what you really going to do and that's why it's quite difficult to suggest you something. It's clear that you want to upgrade your 7.1 system to 7.40. But I was not able to understand to which solution you are going on 7.40 - PI (dual stack), PI (single Java without ccBPM) or PO (single java with BPM/BRM).

If your final release will be PI 7.40 dual stack than you can go both ways - new installation and migration of your scenarios OR direct upgrade from 7.1 to 7.40.

If your goal is PI 7.40 (java only without ccBPM) or PO 7.40 (Java only with BPM/BRM) than new installation is the only option for you.

BR,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Martin is right. If you are on dual-stack PI 7.1 and you want to switch to a Java only-stack then there are some limitations (at least for ccBPM). You should check these limitations first.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,  The single stack / dual stack is "to be decided" but I suspect due to lack of people and resources it will be  a straight upgrade from PI 7.1 to PI 7.40.

The discussions will have to take place as they say :-).

Many thanks for you help, its nice to know the migration option is still available.

Cheers

James

martin_babayan
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi James,

from my experience I can say that it's always a huge question what is better - a straight upgrade or new installation. Both ways have advantages and disadvantages. For a straight upgrade you need to carefully test all interfaces after you finish an upgrade. So it's also time and people resourses :0)

Good luck in your project

BR,

Martin

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Very soon, we will also start with the upgrade of our SAP PI 7.11 system to a SAP PO 7.4 system.

It will not be that easy because we want to redesign the ESR content and re-arrange the setup.

I would definitely go for a PO (thus single stack) system. It is perhaps not the easiest way to migrate to, but you will definitely benefit from all the advantages of a single stack + BPM & BRM.

Just a thought.

Kind regards,

Dimitri

martin_babayan
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

You right Dimitri. And it's also a good opportunity to review all interfaces, naming conventions, delete unnecessary stuff etc.

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, indeed! That is what I proposed to the customer.

This is the golden moment to review.

Yes, it takes some time and yes, it will take extra effort.

But at the end, a full blown SAP PO 7.4 system. will make you forget all these things

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We were also in the process of considering migration of our interfaces from 7.11 to single stack 7.4 which we are using for our B2B scenarios.  Other priorities have crept in the way but reviewing the current content for naming conventions, redundancy, etc. is an opportunity we will have.  Had a chance to push really hard the best practice especially on naming conventions probably to the dismay of my team. 

Regards,

Ryan Crosby

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'f forgotten to ask. Is the migration path still supported ?

Cheers

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

What do you mean with migration path?

BR

Harald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi I was meaning the export / Import method of moving content.

Regards

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sure still available.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

So you want to upgrade from PI 7.1 to PO 7.4?

In this case I recommend a complete new PO 7.4 installation and do the migration of the objects from PI 7.l to PO 7.4. You shouldn't upgrade the dev system only and do the rest later since this will anyway lead to issues due to the version difference of the DEV and the QA/PROD systems in this case.

Best Regards

Harald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harald

That's what I'm concerned about and thinking over.

The migration route or the "upgrade" in place options.

The other option would be timelines.

If upgrading from 7.1 to 7.4 is "easy" then an upgrade in place might make sense.