cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery Options for SAP IQ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at rolling out a SAP IQ environment as part of a broader Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) engagement for Business Suite.  SAP IQ will act as the ILM store for the archived data.

Anyway, can anyone please provide me the available options around DR for SAP IQ?

I'm aware of disk based replication solutions but my client does not currently have disk based mirroring available between their primary and DR site. I've read in a couple of places that SAP Replication Server doesn't support IQ?

Are there any alternatives to Replication Server if I want to achieve something equivalent to Oracle DataGuard or DB2 HADR (eg a software based replication/mirroring type technology / log shipping ..etc..)?

Appreciate your help on this.

Regards

Shaun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

SAP Replication Server will not work with SAP IQ as a source database.  It can be a target database using the RTL (Real Time Loading) option, just not a source.

For DR IQ implementations, we typically see two types.

First, some customers simply choose to use the BACKUP and RESTORE features within the IQ database to perform a series of full and incremental backups to disk, ship those files to the DR site, then use the RESTORE operation to build the DR system.  The downside to this is the time that it takes to ship the files across the network and then perform the restore.  If the database is multi-terabytes this can be time consuming especially in relation to what the DR requirements may be.

The second approach that we often see is using storage level replication.  This is by far the easiest and quickest to implement.  This method can provide quite a lot of variations from synchronous to asynchronous, continuous replication or timed synchronization.  The downside here is that it may not be a corporate standard so trying to get it into a data center may prove difficult.

With something like ILM (and SAP BW NLS for IQ), you are not constantly updating IQ as we see with more open systems and applications.  The data movement from SAP into IQ ILM is scheduled, staged, and very much at your discretion.  That means that the first approach of using a backup and restore can work quite well.  If you schedule your data movements jobs from SAP into IQ ILM on a weekly basis, you could easily just backup the database after the changes have been made in IQ.

In fact, this is the approach that the SAP BW Near Line Store on SAP IQ uses.  After the data archive jobs have run, BW performs a database backup to safeguard the data.  We get away with this because the data load frequency is daily at most and likely weekly or monthly depending on the data and jobs.

Mark

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi markmumy,

We are currently going to implement BW NLS using SAP IQ as near line storage.Our BW system is BW PRD,HA and DR mode can we architect SAP IQ system update with three types of BW landscape.What are the way for SAP IQ HA and DR implementation.How much node we required for SAP IQ implementation.

Kindly give suggestion regarding this.

Kind Regards,

Muhammad Shafiq