cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placement Issue for multisize Drums ( Ordering unit is Kg)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have following issues for Placing multisize Drums in a Bin.

Please note that Base UOM for RM is Kg   However material recieving in Drums.

e.g. if Matl. RM01 is ordered for 1000 Kg then supplier will send the Qty in Drums of various sizes.

Now there are various pack sizes  like 180 Kg, 220 Kg, 240 Kg ( Say Big Sizes).    And even 25 Kg ( Say Small Size).

If 180 Kg, 220 Kg, 240 Kg packing reached then 4 Drums can be there in one Pallet. And if 25 Kg packing then 16 Drums can be on one Pallet.

Capacity of Bin is 4 Drums  of Big Sizes or 16 Drums of Small Size. i.e. in one Bin 4 Drums of either  sizes of 180 , 220, 240 Kg ( Big Size) can be placed or 16 Drums of 25 Kg (Small Size) can be placed.

Please note supplier will dispatch only in one size in one Dispatch .e.g. if Ordered Qty is 1000 Kg then he can either send 4 Drums X 240 Kg = 960 Kg

or 4 Drums X 220 Kg = 880 Kg or 5 Drums X 180 Kg = 900 Kg or even 40 Drums X 25 Kg = 1000 Kg.  ( Not the mixture of sizes)

Now how to configure this?

Issues

1. In Palletization data , I have seen only 3 entries can be there.and reqmt is for 4

2. If WM UOM is used to capture 4 Drums capacity of a Bin ,  then since PO orders in Kg and there are 4 sizes , it wont calculate for all 4 sizes . e.g. If I use Capacity usage in matl master then 1 ea = only one size of drum . i.e. either of 180 , 220 or 240 Kg. or 25 Kg right?

3. If WM unit is not maintained , but still how system will calculate Palletization data properly? e.g. if 220 Kg  X 4 Drum recd. that means user is trying to do GR of 880 Kg , but then automatic palletization will suggest 240 Kg X 3 and 160 Kg X   1.  Which is very incorrect.

4. We can suggest user to manually enter proper pallet and size in WM view of MIGO , but I noticed that even then in TO it again takes back 240 Kg X3 and 160 Kg X 1.  Hence again manual correction in TO.  BUT here in client they are going for Automatic TO in Background . So very big issue.

5. Even some enhancement done and tried to pass what there in WM view of MIGO to TO for palletization. But there are always big chances that user may not enter proper data during GR, so what can be good solution?

Any alternate better solution for this?

Thanks,

JK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi JK

The question here is how do u identify (in the system) that incoming truck is having the 180 KG drum or 220 KG drum etc, once this is resolved further flow is not an issue

From WM perspective i see only two LE Quantity related value are required and not 4

4 DR   / PAL

16 DR / PAL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

Thanks for your reply.

As per your following statement

------------------------------------------------

From WM perspective i see only two LE Quantity related value are required and not 4

4 DR   / PAL

16 DR / PAL

--------------------------------------------

My Order unit is KG and not drums

Its supplier who can send me in Drums of various size like 180 kg, 220 Kg or 240 Kg or even 25 Kg etc.

Now how I can define 1 DR = 180 Kg as well as 1 DR= 220 Kg etc. ( I think in alternate UOM it will not accept it multiple time)

Please clarify,

Thanks,

JK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi JK,

You are correct in assuming that you cannot define the same UOM to have multiple values for the same material.  But you can define multiple UOMs such as: 1 DR1 <> 180 KG; 1 DR2 <> 220 KG; 1 DR3 <> 240 KG, etc.  Having said that, I'm not convinced that is really the best option for you.  In my experience, the way this situation is normally handled is to define separate materials for each drum configuration (each with appropriate Alt UOMs for DR).  Then you would place a mutli-item order for the desired drum arrangement.  That implies that you know the drum arrangement at the time you place the order, which I know is not what you do today, but that is a change to your business process that I think you should consider, as there is a lot to be said for knowing exactly what is coming in before it arrives.

If you don't like multiple materials (and I admit that adds a certain amount of complexity) then you can consider doing all of your movements in KG (ordering and receiving) and agree with your supplier to deliver standard configurations (such as 800 KG is always delivered as 2 x 220 KG drums + 2 x 180 KG drums).  That way the movements are simple, and your warehouse folks know what is headed their way before it arrives.

I hope this is in someway helpful.

Dave

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In the standard SAP it is not possible to define multiple DR hence you have to go for a custom code

or manipulate the data in such a way that every drum size is having a unique identifier (e.g. 180 Kg - 180, 220 KG --220  etc) but after all this the main concern is how to identify that whether the incoming Shipment is having drum size of 180 or 220 or 25 KG

so a manual input is required at the time of TO creation to tell the system that you have received 180 KG DR and accordingly it will explore the PALLETIZATION data of that drum size.

I can think something like this

Create a custom table map all the drum size

KG                No of DR                         Identifier       DR per pallet

180               1                                        180               4

220               1                                        220               4

25                 1                                          25             16

Now at the time of TO creation a manual input is required (e.g. 180 , 220 or 25) which will pick the DR per pallet data and accordingly create the Transfer order