Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life after BCS

tanja_gliege
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear gurus,

As we are heading into the sunset with our beloved BCS product we are probably all faced with the question on which product to implement after SAP stopps BCS support in 2017.

As you are probably aware there are two main contenders for the after life consolidation solution, i.e. BPC and BoFc both having their advantages and disadvantages.

I have been looking at both option now, but I am still not sure on one thing. In BCS we use different versions for management and staturory reporting and the data transfer between both version is seamless and easy. But can anybody please explain to me how this is done in BPC or BoFC? I did not find this information anywhere.

Your input is as always very much appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards,

Tanja

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tanja,

Life after BCS? There is no life after BCS)))

It's funny, in the two, probably biggest companies in my country, I see two contrary directions:

1) from the existing implementations of consolidation applications BFC is chosen to be killed and BCS - to be developed. Attempt of developing something with BPC is almost declared as absolutely fruitless.

2). With the existing BCS monster implementation there is a thought of going to BFC.

Consolidation with BPC is not serious for me any longer.

So, there is a choise only between BCS and BFC. With their own advantages and disadvantages.

For me BCS still  #1.

BTW, to my knowledge, neither BPC, nor BFC has no something like versions in BCS.

tanja_gliege
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Eugene for your input.

From my evaluation I had a similar feeling that there is no real comparison product out there and that BPC will not really do the trick for us.

So we can just hope that other big companies will continue to develop somthing with BCS thus increasing the pressure on SAP to continue the support.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is no need to press - SAP is going to support BCS until 2020!

I'm not talking about further development of new functionality for BCS in the EhPs.

So, draw your own conclusions...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

With reference to the last sentence stated by Eugene about versions in BPC, would like to mention the following please :

Versions in BCS = ACTUALS / PLAN / BUDGETED

Category in BPC = This represents the versions or scenarios based on which data would be tracked. It contains the types of data you are going to track, such as Actual, Budget, and Forecast.

Regards,

Vicki

former_member209721
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just finished my first 2 year BFC project after several BCS projects, and sorry to say that I prefer BFC More open, more flexible, more user-friendly...

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member211095
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tanja

Information from this thread is suffiecient if you consider.  Please change the status of thread from Not answer to Answer.

Regards

Rajesh SVN

former_member211095
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Yesterday SAP updated on note - 1171344 - SEM-BCS in the context of SAP ERP 6.0 EHP (Version 16)

Beyond EHP7, the SEM-BCS product will continue to be enhanced to address Legal Change issues and to be maintained. In addition, SAP will continue to evaluate customer requirements with respect to possible further enhancements to the existing architectural scope of SEM-BCS functionality.

IFRS relevance of the SEM-BCS product is illustrated in the book "IFRS-Konzernabschlüsse mit SAP" by Henning Kagermann, Karlheinz Küting and Johannes Wirth, published by Schäffer/Poeschel in June 2008.

Mainstream maintenance for SAP ERP 6.0 is provided until end of 2025, whereas support for ABAP NW release 7.30 is provided until end of 2020. For SEM-BCS this results in the time horizons for maintenance as follows:

Mainstream maintenance for SEM-BCS EHP4 on NW 7.30 (i.e., SEM-BW release 6.34) is provided until end of 2020. No extended maintenance will be provided.
    Mainstream maintenance for SEM-BCS 6.0 and all EHP except EHP4 on NW 7.30 (see previous item) is provided until end of 2025. Support beyond this date will be determined in conjunction with any proposed changes to support for the SAP Business Suite (SAP ERP). (There is no decision yet on availability, timeframe and conditions of extended maintenance after 2025. See also note 1648480 for reference.)

Regards

Rajesh SVN

tanja_gliege
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a million Rajesh for the update : )

Former Member
0 Kudos

2015 it is and BCS has been on HANA for at least 3 years if I remember correctly.

former_member211095
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tanja

Please find below OSS Note mentioned that support would be upto 2020.

1171344 - SEM-BCS in the context of SAP ERP 6.0 EHP:

Beyond EHP7, the SEM-BCS product will continue to be enhanced to address Legal Change issues and to be maintained. In addition, SAP will continue to evaluate customer requirements with respect to possible further enhancements to the existing architectural scope of SEM-BCS functionality.

IFRS relevance of the SEM-BCS product is illustrated in the book "IFRS-Konzernabschlüsse mit SAP" by Henning Kagermann, Karlheinz Küting and Johannes Wirth, published by Schäffer/Poeschel in June 2008.

Mainstream maintenance for SAP ERP 6.0 is provided until end of 2020. Support beyond this date will be determined in conjunction with any proposed changes to support for the SAP Business Suite (SAP ERP). (There is no decision yet on availability, timeframe and conditions of extended maintenance after 2020. See also note 1648480 for reference.)

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Rajesh SVN

tanja_gliege
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a million Rajesh for setting my record straight : )

I will now monitor the updates of this note as there seem to be 15 version of it now and version 9 still mentioned 2017.

Thanks a million for your input.

That still leaves us with BCS for couple of years more, but going back to my original question does BPC or BOFC offer the use of versions for management and staturory reporting?

Kind regards,

Tanja

Former Member
0 Kudos

which SAP Note references 2017?

tanja_gliege
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gregory : )

I had this info from the note 1171344 version 9.