cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXPORT_MD_TO_FILE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I am trying to run the standard EXPORT_MD_TO_FILE Data Manager Package. I'm having an issue with any descriptions that have a comma. If the description has a comma, it splits it into another column in the export.

Thus, if I have:

ID           Desc

45678    Pottery Austin, TX

My export will show: 45678,Pottery Austin, TX

I would think it should show: 45678,"Pottery Austin, TX"

(like any other csv file)

I have tried changing the OUTPUTDELIMITER field in the transformation file to a semi-colon (;), however the behavior does the following:

45678;Pottery Austin; TX

It seems like the behavior of the Export first makes the delimiter a comma, then does a find and replace of all commas with the OUTPUTDELIMITER value, thus even converting my text comma to a semi-colon.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or found a way around this?

Thanks,

Alex

(BPC NW 10.0)      

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

It's a known issue (there are some resent posts about the same). And I think you are 100% right about the bug logic. I can recommend to open a ticket in SAP support. You can't do a lot...

By the way, what is you core BPC SP?

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Vadim,

I'm at CPMBPC 801 SP 5 (equiv to 800 SP 12).

I may try a low priority note and see if SAP has any suggestions I suppose. It's just odd this hasn't been noticed/fixed before.

Thanks,

Alex

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

I am on CPMBPC 800 SP14, but I am unable to test the export now - I have to implement the note http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2057437

Without it my export to file is not working at all

Vadim

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

You can use the comma as separator, and output  45678,Pottery Austin, TX which is correct.

the question is what do you do with the file, if you import the file again then the , will separate pottery Austin and TX. so when you import with the file you need to use length to separate them. not ,

What you can try is use a conversion file to replace all the , to _ then use comma separator.

then you will get something like 45678,Pottery Austin_ TX

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andy,

I already tried doing the conversion replace. The issue is that it seems the system first makes the separator a comma before it hits even the transformation file. It seems the logic goes:

Before Transformation: 45678,Pottery Austin, TX

Transformation using OUTPUTDELIMITER: 45678;Pottery Austin; TX

Conversion using JS to replace: does nothing because there is no comma

After the transformation, because it shows everything to the conversion file as a ";", it appears to the conversion file as another "column". Thus, it doesn't convert anything.

The issue is that before transformation, the system decides to make it a comma, thus forcing the transformation to convert every comma to ";", because it seems it just does a find-and-replace of comma to OUTPUTDELIMITER.

And yes, the goal is to be able to re-import the file back into the system, that is why the number of columns matters. (though, in almost every situation of using the data, it would be an issue.)

I used a city, state as an example, in reality, it's not that simple, sometimes it's a list such as "Black, Smooth, Faucet" or something of the like.

It seems it's just a fault in the logic of the Export I guess.

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

ah I see, I wonder if start routine will help to replace the , before the standard code (bug) takes over.

Andy

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, because we have a clear bug it's better to get a correction note from SAP...

Vadim

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

Just tested master data export on the system with BPC 10 SP 14 (BW 730 SP 12) with the note installed:http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2057437

Transformation file has the line: OUTPUTDELIMITER=;

Description of test member has comma inside.

Result:

TEST1;INC;Test, with comma;(...)

No issues with comma!

B.R. Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Vadim for letting me know.

Now I just need to figure out if I can apply that note to my system level as well or if I have to be at a higher service pack level for it to work 😕

Guess that is what Dev is for.

Thanks Vadim, I'll post back if I can get it to work.

Alex

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This note is a part of future SP15... (or SP08 for 801) and it requires to install additional notes...

But after all it's working absolutely correctly!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Vadim,

Alright, I'll let my Basis team know there are pre-requisite notes. Hopefully none of them require higher than SP12.

(Either that, or I wait until like March of next year for an upgrade (getting a SP upgrade is like pulling teeth :/))

Thanks,

Alex