cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Multiple SDM agents in one Host supported?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

I know about the rule of one SDM agent per host.  Is it possible to install 2 different SDM agents in one host...
Does SAP supports this?  Is there any documentation supporting this.

For Example...

I want my Development systems connected to my both Solution Managers ( Production and Development ).  I want to have the possibility to start  monitoring from either one of them.

Or, I want an SDM agent pointing to an external service provider to monitor my landscape throught their SolMan,   And I want to keep one SDM agent configured to my own Solman Server.

Again

Should/Can I install an additional SDM agent in every system?

Do you have a particular documentation that support this scenario?

Regards and thanks
Henry Lopez

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry ,

I think you mean a SMD agent and not SDM agent.SAP recommends to use only one Diagnostics Agent per Managed host.( Physical or virtual host)

But the documentation also says that "Only one Diagnostics Agent for each Solution Manager must exist per physical, virtual or logical host running a managed component"

It  would be possible do it. Install two SMD agents and configure it in such a way that they send monitoring data to two different SOLMAN system .

It would give you a warning that diagnostics agent is already installed.But you can install with a different instance number and same sid.

1365123 - Installation of Diagnostics Agents

1833501 - Diagnostics Agent - Installer Versions

Check AgentInstallationStrategy pdf inside of note 1365123 page no 16-17.

Thanks

Amit

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

first, if you mean SMD Agent, then yes, the diagnostics concept from SAP needs only one diagnostics agent per host.

Big negativ impact on this SAP concept is, that if you implement monitoring with SAP Solution Manager, you have a single point of failure = the SAP Solution Manager itself,

In former days, there was CCMS and primary / secondary target servers possible.

Now with SMD you may have a agent with instance 98 (older versions had 97 as default) which "reacts" to the prod Sol Man and an additional agent with a diffent number which "reacts" to the non-prod Sol Man and so on.

This "single point of failure" in the E2E / SMD concept is for me not acceptable.

Everytime there is a Sol Man downtime, you and your complete "monitoring" will be BLIND.
Sometimes the Java Agent turns from Green to Yellow, then the blindness is for all compontents on that host.

If any alerts (MAI) etc come up, the SolMan down, you will not know / auto-react it until SolMan downtime is over or you restarted the Yellow agent.

That's the reason and solution why the making a SPOF to a "halt/two point of failure" might be better on larger landscapes.

😉

Raymond