cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDBC Timeout

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using a JDBC connection to Oracle for some reports we migrated from 3.1 to 4.0.  All reports under about 20 minutes work fine, but when you hit the 20 minute mark, the report errors out.  We had a similar issue in 3.1 that we fixed by adding a -RequestTimeout X (where X is milliseconds - 3600000 in our case) in the Crystal Job Server command line switch.  (in addition to changing the timeout in CRConfig.xml)  The Crystal Job Server doesn't seem to exist in 4.0, and adding it to the Adaptive Job Server command line doesn't work (the AJS ends up in failure status).  Anyone know how to get similar behaviour to the -RequestTimeout in version 3.1?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you explain if you are scheduling the reports or just viewing on demand (hit refresh)? Because the job server is only used when scheduling. Also, it could be that the webpage is giving you the times out (see kbase http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1610976) so it could help if you give us the full error message.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi:

JinChong, we had already set those values to about 60 up from 20, but they didn't help to resolve anything.

Berend: We are scheduling the reports, both through an Java API based application and through CMC/Launchpad directly.  Either way, the results are the same.  We get the message of: Failed to retrieve data from the database.  (Eg: Error in File ~tmp3a608225c68ec30.rpt: Failed to retrieve data from the database.)

I asked SAP also about the -RequestTimeout switch and just got back the answer.  Looks like its changed in 4.0 (as below) .  Hopefully that will fix it, we'll give it a shot tomorrow.

"-RequestTimeoutMinutes" with a parameter between 0 to 32791 (minutes).

This switch is for the Crystal Report Cache Server and Crystal Report 2011 Processing Server.

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"-RequestTimeoutMinutes with a parameter between 0 to 32791 (minutes).  This switch is for the Crystal Report Cache Server and Crystal Report 2011 Processing Server."

I am able to add -RequestTimeoutMinutes 60 to the following Crystal Report 2013/CR4E and Job Servers and they are restarted successfully.

AdaptiveJobServer

CrystalReports2013ProcessingServer

CrystalReports2013ReportApplicationServer

CrystalReportsCacheServer

CrystalReportsProcessingServer

I test a Crystal Report 2013 report scheduled job and it has been running over 20 minutes.  With is said, does SAP provide explanation on why "this switch is for the Crystal Report Cache Server and Crystal Report 2011 Processing Server"?  I thought the switch would make sense if apply to AdaptiveJobServer and CrystalReports2013ReportApplicationServer since CrystalReports2013ProcessingServer, CrystalReportsCacheServer, and CrystalReportsProcessingServer all have "Idle Job Timeout in minutes?

Regards,

Jin-Chong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jin-Chong,

That is acutally a a very good question.  The Crystal Reports Job Server is where the old -RequestTimeout switch went in version 3.1, so it would make sense that it would go in the AJS in 4.0, at least for scheduled jobs.  I added to the AJS and RAS as you did, and they start up fine, but our reports still seem to timeout after 20 minutes, both through SDK and straight from CMC.  I'm going to run a few more tests to make sure though.  SAP is still analyzing our issue, but I'll ask them the question about adding the switch to the Adaptive Job Server/RAS, because that seems to make more sense.

Regards,

Sabir

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sabir,

I applied this "-RequestTimeoutMinutes 60" to my BI4.1 SP03 and run a large crystal report 2013 scheduled job and it completes successfully in 11444 seconds.  Note that this report is based on Oracle native not JDBC, though.

Regards,

Jin-Chong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi JinChong,

We usually haven't had a problem with Oracle Native in BO 3.1, it will usually run as long as you need it to.  Our issues happened when we switched over to JDBC (not my decision).  However, that is a good idea, and I'll test out some long running reports, switching to Oracle Native driver to see what happens in 4.  Still not sure why we are running into a 20 minute timeout.  The strange thing is it's 20 minutes sometimes, and 30 minutes other times.  Might be the difference between running through API and CMC.  Will have to also investigate that.  JinChong, if you are able to, can you test that same report with a JDBC connection and see what happens?  I'd be interested to see the results. Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,

Sabir

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sabir,

what is your <JavaServerTimeout> setting in <install drive:>\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\java\CRConfig.xml file?

The default is 30 minutes: <JavaServerTimeout>1800</JavaServerTimeout>

Hope this helps,

Jin-Chong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jin-Chong,

We have that value set to 10800 which I believe is 3 hours.  We also set the timeout up top from 10 to 180, and upped the JVM Heap sizes.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><CrystalReportEngine-configuration>
    <timeout>180</timeout>

<IORFileLocation>${TEMP}</IORFileLocation>
<JavaServerTimeout>10800</JavaServerTimeout>
<JavaServerStartupTimeout>30</JavaServerStartupTimeout>
<JVMMaxHeap>512000000</JVMMaxHeap>
<JVMMinHeap>64000000</JVMMinHeap>

No luck with that though.  Still waiting from a response from SAP also, I think they will call me today.

I did some searching,  and I don't know if its related, but there is a timeout in the following file (on linux)

.../webapps/BOE/WEB-INF/eclipse/plugins/webpath.CrystalReports/web/WEB-INF/web.xml

<!-- Define the default session timeout for your application,

in minutes.  From a servlet or JSP page, you can modify

the timeout for a particular session dynamically by using

HttpSession.getMaxInactiveInterval().

-->

<session-config>

<session-timeout>20</session-timeout>    <!-- 20 minutes for session objects -->

</session-config>

Regards,

Sabir

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the following timeout,

If CR4E

- Idle Connection Timeout (minutes)  Specifies the amount of time, in minutes, that the Crystal Reports Cache Server waits for a request from an idle connection. There is generally no need to modify the default value.  The default value is 20 minutes. 

- Idle Job Timeout (minutes) Specifies the length of time, in minutes, that the Crystal Reports Processing Server waits between requests for a given job.  The default value is 20 minutes.

- Idle Connection Timeout (minutes)  Specifies the amount of time, in minutes, that the Crystal Reports Processing Server waits for a request from an idle connection. There is generally no need to modify the default value.  The default value is 20 minutes. 

If Crystal Report 2011/2013

- Idle Connection Timeout (minutes) Specifies the amount of time, in minutes, that the Report Application Server (RAS) waits for requests from an idle client before timing out.

Setting a value too low can cause a user's request to be closed prematurely, and setting a value that is too high can affect the server's scalability (for instance, if the ReportClientDocument object is not closed explicitly, the server will be waiting unnecessarily for an idle job to close).  The default value is 30 minutes.

- Idle Job Timeout (minutes) Specifies the length of time, in minutes, that the Crystal Reports Processing Server waits between requests for a given job.  The default value is 20 minutes.

- Idle Connection Timeout (minutes)  Specifies the amount of time, in minutes, that the Crystal Reports Processing Server waits for a request from an idle connection. There is generally no need to modify the default value.  The default value is 20 minutes.

Hope this helps,

Jin-Chong