cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text joins performance impact

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are building a huge calculation view which in the end will have ~1000 fields. This calculation view will be built from several smaller calculation views with union between them. Each small calculation view uses Analytical view that in the logical join uses attribute view with text join.

One of my big concerns is where should we add the text fields to this view? It will expand the number of fields in 30%.Maybe we should have these smaller joins in the BO IDT level.. When I try to check the performance in the viso plan (in smaller model..) I can see that  the text joins are only performed when we ask for text. What do you think? Will calculation view with ~1000 fields will work? Will it make any diferent if we add the texts to our model?

Should we add the text joins in the analytical view Data Foundation or Logical join?

Thanks,

Amir

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's a correct observation.

Like the dynamic and the referential join, text joins are only executed when the joined columns are actually requested.

Therefore, I would go on and model the text "where it belongs" in your view hierarchy.

If and only if you find that there is a performance problem and you can pin it down to exactly the text joins, then I would dig deeper.

- Lars