cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

subcontracting PO > component item category issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am facing the problem for my subcontracting component's line item.

Found an old discussion where SAP Notes 205454 were suggested and this discussion seems to be "answered".

For my case, my material component is registered with item category N.

When the it is used in subcon PO, item category is displayed as T instead of N.

From EKET table, I picked and used RSNUM to display item category in RESB table.

As a results, the item category for that particular component is displaying as L (??) instead of N which it should be the same as in CS03.

I am not sure what am i missing here.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RobynCouch
Contributor
0 Kudos

What type of order it this purchasing process related to (production, maintenance etc)?

Also please could you clarify which documents the item categories you are referring to come from?

Not sure if I will be able to help but your message isn't clear at the moment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

PO type NB, PO item category L (subcontracting).

I am using tolling material BOM, 4 components; 3 using BOM item category L, 1 using item category N.

When create Suncontracting PO, component's item category shown for PO line item is displaying as T for component with item category N.

(For component with category L, it is showing as L in BOM --no problem).

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Category N in a bill of material means Non-stock item.

A item category L would control that a quantity of the component is issued when you receive the subcontracted material. you cannot goods issue a non-stock item, hence it has to change its item category to be a text item only.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

Thank you for the reply.

Please correct if I understanding this wrongly.

Are you saying that for Tolling ( Subcontracting ), material BOM with item category N should not be used since the component(s) will eventually be PGI'ed out to the Toller?

Also, if N is used in component item category, it will eventually be changed to L ( ? )

Please advise.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

not sure from which reply you got this wrong understanding.

N is non stock - try to do a movement for non-stock material in SAP, just from storage location to storage location, and you will know how much you can do with a non-stock material in inventory management. if you have nothing you cant move it.

Hence SAP is turning this N from your BoM to a text item in the subcontract PO. Because you have to deliver it physically to your contractor (..but not in SAP) otherwise your subcontractor could not fulfill your order.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Juergen,

So, it changed from N to T in subcon PO to serve as information purposes to Toller.

And yes, in actual, still need to send the component physically ( not in SAP ), otherwise Toller couldn't meet the request.

It is clear now. Thank you !

Answers (0)