Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel locks when trying to close AO/Excel session

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I am new to SCN. 🙂

I am using the Analysis for Microsoft Excel 1.4 SP08. Every time I close Excel when AO is activated, Excel locks up and has to restart:

I am using MS Excel Professional Plus 2010 (32 bit) on a Windows 7 (64 bit) OS. This problem also occurs when using previous service packs.

I hope someone has an answer for this! It is very frustrating for myself and our users.

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Since Excel is 32 bit, are you using Analysis Office 32 bit?  Can you confirm/check this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I am using 32 bit AO.

Dustin

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dustin,

What do the trace logs show?

Go to Settings > Support Settings and enable the trace logs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

I enabled the NCO Tracing (Level 4). I am looking at the file "SAPAdvancedAnalysisXLS", which I assume is the correct file (please correct me if I am wrong!). Here is the information in that file:

- Error:General .NET Exception:

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr wndProc, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at com.sap.ip.bi.pioneer.controls.lowLevelEvents.CnLowLevelEvents.WndProcHandler(Message& m, WndProcDelegate iWndProc)

| 2014-09-18T13:40:03| com.sap.ip.bi.pioneer.controls.lowLevelEvents.CnLowLevelEvents.WndProcHandler() ()
- Error:General .NET Exception:

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr wndProc, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at com.sap.ip.bi.pioneer.controls.lowLevelEvents.CnLowLevelEvents.WndProcHandler(Message& m, WndProcDelegate iWndProc)

| 2014-09-18T13:40:03| com.sap.ip.bi.pioneer.controls.lowLevelEvents.CnLowLevelEvents.WndProcHandler() ()
TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dustin,

I did a search on the SAP Notes (service.sap.com/notes) and 31 notes came back when I searched "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Would it be possible for you to do a similar search to determine if any of the notes applies to your situation?

Tammy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for letting me know about the SAP Notes. I looked through the 31 notes and none seemed to apply to my situation. I do not even think any were related to AO. 😞 Do you have any other ideas?

Dustin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dustin,

Do you have any other addins loaded in your excel session.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Yes, I am using Jive for Office. I have just disabled the add-in and it seems to have corrected the issue! Unfortunately, Jive is a company-wide add-in that must stay in our user's add-ins.

Do you, or anyone else, happen to know if there is a way to correct this?

Thanks!

Dustin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dustin,

We had a similar issue Analysis for Office has a switch that will only load
the Analysis Addin you can use this at the end the launcher. /AOOnly

"C:\Program Files\SAP
BusinessObjects\Analysis\BiSharedAddinLauncher.exe" /appXLS /AOOnly

We had an added complication our users did not have write access to the
localmachines section of the windows registry which is where our other addins
had been installed. In our case we need to edit our security policy. But if
your other addins are loaded into the localuser section you will be fine.

If the switch does not work it probably it relates to the registry security I mentioned.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I do not have a launcher that has "/AOOnly" on it, and even if I try to add that to the file name then I get a windows error because you cannot have a file with a "/" in it. Do you have any more information on how to do this?

Dustin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dustin,

Can you try create a shortcut on your desktop with the following. Just past the entire string in the locations and then select next and finish.

"C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\Analysis\BiSharedAddinLauncher.exe" /appXLS /AOOnly

The path will be different if you are running a windows 64bit OS with Office 32bit in that case it will look as follows;

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Analysis\BiSharedAddinLauncher.exe" /appXLS /AOOnly

Answers (0)