cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get case sensitivity in a Matches Pattern query filter?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello! This is a follow up to a previous question I had about wild cards. I was able to get that working but, now I'm having an issue with case sensitivity not doing what I want in the query filter.

I have this so far "[Addy1] Matches Pattern %a%". What I need it to do is look anywhere in the field for a lower case a. What it's doing is pulling any field that has an A or an a in it.

Any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member203850
Contributor
0 Kudos

As Neil already suggested about the case sensivity at the  report end.

Another approcah is use custom query option and modify the sql to incorparte above condition.

Regards,

Pranay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amanda,

You could use the pattern _%a% which would eliminate records starting with A.

Regards

Sri Harsha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you but, that's not quite what I need.

Maybe an example would help?

What I'm hoping to have the query return is anything containing a lowercase "a" like, "ball" or "BaLL" or "Ball" which it does but, it also returns things that have uppercase "A" as well, like "bAll" and "BALL."

I just need the things with the lowercase "a." I'm not concerned with where the lowercase a is in the field, just that it's in there somewhere.

I'm not sure if there's a character I need to use or another way to set up the query to make it work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is that how data is coming into the report.You can use upper or lower function while data is being retrieved and use the pattern matching which would make your work simpler.

former_member201488
Contributor
0 Kudos

From what I can see (XI3.x), the pattern matching query filters are case insensitive. For case sensitivity, use the MATCH function in the report, e.g.:

=Match([Customer];"*a*")

..returns TRUE (1) for Customer "Cabinet".

=Match([Customer];"*A*")

..returns FALSE (0) for Customer "Cabinet", but TRUE for Customer "CABINET".

HTH

NMG