Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to merge datasets in Design Studio?

alfons_gonzalez
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi.

We would be interested in migrating some of our existing WebI documents into Design Studio applications. We are checking/assesing the potential issues involved in this process and the most relevant question that constantly appears to us is the concept of "merged dimension". (=merging datasets from different datasources in DS terminology)

As far as we know it does not exist in SAP Design Studio. My question is: it is possible to handle it in some way? How should I manage the need of merging dimensions into my DS app? To Implement the merge in the UNX seems to be obvious solution but in our case this would require having to implement a lot of outer joins in ours universes. This might be useful in this case that may cause several other problems to already existing reports.

I would be interested in to know previous experiences of rebuilding into Design Studio previous existing WEBi documents that contained merged dimensions.

Does anyone knows if next release (DS 1.4) will alllow to merge datasets from different queries (=merged dimension)? It is a planned enhancement?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

michaelwecker
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Alfons,

did you found a way to merge dimensions within Design Studio. We have the same problems. Within Webi no problem but  I do not see any solution apart from Universe via IDT.

Could you give us a hint to your solution?

Thabk you very much.

Best regards

Michael Wecker

alfons_gonzalez
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I am sorry but this is one of major drawbacks that DS has for non-BW users. Its limitations to do calculations and manipulate data becomes a problem when using UNX universes as data sources. Comparison with WebI capabilities is unavoidable.

I have just come back from Teched in BCN and unfortunately it does seems any of this features will be implemented in the incoming releases.

Note: Only for your info:  we are considering this product   as the way to workaround the issue: the idea is quite simple. WebI will become the data provider layer and DS will be the presentation layer.

Hope it helps you

Alfons

michaelwecker
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Alfons,

thank you for your reply. That kind of product would be great but until then you can only join within multiprovider on BW.

Best regards

Michael

Karol-K
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Alfons,

currently there is no plan to make the merge functionality in 1.4 release.

Karol

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't see that functionality specifically mentioned in the webcast we had earlier this week (see Figure 1 at )

I recommend submitting this as an idea on Idea Place at ideas.sap.com

alfons_gonzalez
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I have already done it. If someone is interested, please vote it!

Merge datasets from different queries (Design Studio) : View Idea